Encore NC overnight burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I'm curious what kind of overnight burn times other Encore NC owners are getting. I'm measuring from the time I fill the box to when I wake and find enough coals left to start a fire. I'm seeing about 7 hours at te moment.... I reloaded last night at 10, got up and 5 and managed to rekindle the fire from coals with the help of some trusty pine kindling.

I haven't quite cracked how to best load the box and I tend to end up with logs facing every which way. I'm betting I can get another hour out of it, but was wondering what others have seen.

With one season's experience I can reliably get eight hours overnight; plus or minus and hour. That is from loading until mixing up the coals and ash the next morning and restarting. Depending upon how tight I pack it I can get usable coals ten hours after loading, but the heat output is negligible. I load E-W with 18" maple splits and try to fill the space(s) on the end(s) with some smaller stuff, but am never really successful get a "tight" pack. I typically rake the coals up front, char the load with the damper open and then shut it down (gradually if I have the patience) until it gets shut 100% before I go off to bed. If I get up in the middle of the night I might throw one or two splits in to extend the burn, but I'm pretty lazy and once I get in the bed I don't like to get out until morning.

Paying more attention to how I loaded and turned the air down last night I was able to get a 10 hour burn with plenty of coals left over to restart easily this morning. Used large splits of maple arranged so that it was like one giant log. The outside temps were between 5 and 12 degrees so there was a good draft, but no need to adjust the stack damper. Keep experimenting with how tightly you load, what type of wood you're using and the temps outside. A 10 or even 11 hour burn is possible with this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.