Encore problems...Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
2001 Vermont Castings Encore. I replaced the Cat Converter at the beginning of last winter. Today, in an effort for efficiency, I took the fireback off for cleaning. The Cat was distorded and parts of the ceramic were broken off .... If I didn't know better I would say that it was exposed to too high heat. What do I do?
I run the unit at about 700 degrees (that's the magnetic thermometer placed on the griddle.
I also notice that the probe that is just below the cat...comes in through the fiberboard case that holds the cat...is just a pimple at this point...not really a 'probe'...what does this thing do (in layman's terms)?
The fireback has a gasket around it, that is flat and falling apart.
Where do I start?
What happens if I run the unit without a new cat (Expensive for me now)?
So, many questions...help!!!

The cat converter was either over fired or exposed to rapid cooling for it to break apart like that, either way it should be replaced. You can run the stove without the cat, but not recommended due to the lower efficiency. 700 is a bit on the high side for continuous operation on this stove, but if your magnetic thermometer is anything like mine it's reading high and your probably OK. A cheap IR thermometer is a good investment IMHO.

The probe is an expendable item and easy to replace, if all your seeing is a "pimple" than it is time to replace it. This probe controls the secondary air intake. If the fireback gasket is flattened and falling off then it's time for a new one, the owners manual will tell you all you need to know on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.