End of January Woodcheck - How Much Have U Burned and Got Left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burned 2 cord.... got just over 2 cord left.
Have close to 2 cord of free wood for next year in my yard.
Flashman has 4 cord in his yard for next year.
Our wood guy called and he has 2 grapple loads coming soon.
We good to go......

WoodButcher

burned 2 got 2 will need 4 and will keep the woodyard plowed in case i need more !

CHECKPHOTOS020.jpg

all red oak :)

Burned about a cord, got about a cord left.

I bought 6 tons of BioBricks back in September. Cord wood prices went through the roof back then and BioBricks cost almost the same as cord wood, so I went with BioBricks. So far I have gone through 2.5 tons and have 3.5 tons left. I burn between 24 and 42 bricks a day depending on how cold it is. I tend to load 12-14 bricks at a time and go through 2 or 3 loads a day. During the night I use oil heat, but minimally (I like to sleep with thermostat set at 64).

I've burned 2 cords up till now (early Feb). I have no more wood and I'm pissed ! Like I said in another thread post. I'm pissed at my wood guy and I'm pissed at myself ! I asked him for 4 cords by Sept. He brought me 2 cords by Nov ! By then up here - there is snow, snow & more snow AND no honest man with "split-before-seasoned" dry wood. My wood guy kept saying he was gonna bring me another 2 cords one then another. Sure I got him to give me a quarter cord of seasoned/then split wood that had to be dryed next to my stove for 5 days. But I'm out again ! I HATE MYSELF FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN ! I'm finding another source of green wood in March...spend some of my tax return money. I'll be looking through the threads for advice on buying green wood earl.y

leaf4952 said:
...I'm pissed !
IKWYM
While I'm not out of wood and in fact have enough for next winter, my wood guy is making me nervous. I placed an order for 12 cord early in December for the 2010/2011/2012 seasons and was told I was 4th on his list, probably not going to deliver before January. Well... it's February and we got a mild spell that is starting to turn the bush roads soft. I like to burn Black Ash which grows in swamps so Winter is the only time to get it out of the bush. If we get a quick thaw, the wood will be stuck in the bush until next Winter.

I also like to take delivery in Winter when the big truck won't tear up my driveway and yard. Today I called another wood guy and while it's late in the season to be placing an order, he's going to check around and get back to me hopefully this weekend.

I am amazed at all of the people North of us who have burned less wood. Maybe it's because I'm still learnin' this stove.... It's hard for me to say how much we've burned, but I'd say easily 2 cords, and we're now down to a few wheelbarrows full of pine and a face cord of red oak that's only 8 or 9 months seasoned. I've got a 2 cord Holz Hausen of oak set up since October, and maybe another cord in falling down stacks. ;-P

I'm gonna try to split some pine like a madman coming up soon to try to supplement the shoulder seasons next year.

Burned just under 3.5 cords of aspen, typical year for us is 4-5 cords, and this year has been very cold thru Dec and Jan, and expect to be close to 5 cords for this heating season. Started with 17 cords on hand, 1/2 seasoned 2-3 years, and 1/2 seasoned 1 year. I have about 8 cords of aspen cut and piled last fall, will be split and stacked this spring.

pulldownclaw said:
I am amazed at all of the people North of us who have burned less wood... we've burned... easily 2 cords...
PFFT!
Obviously, you don't mean me. I typically burn somewhere around 6 cord and this year it looks like it will be more. I've got over 5 cord left in the shed and more than 2 cord out under the snow.

I also supplement my wood heat with the gas furnace and radiant floor heat in the bathrooms, so it's not 100% wood heat.

I have 5-6 cords left burnt 7-8 so far and will burn another 2-3 before its over and cutting about 3/4 a cord a week

pulldownclaw said:
I am amazed at all of the people North of us who have burned less wood. Maybe it's because I'm still learnin' this stove.... It's hard for me to say how much we've burned, but I'd say easily 2 cords, and we're now down to a few wheelbarrows full of pine and a face cord of red oak that's only 8 or 9 months seasoned. I've got a 2 cord Holz Hausen of oak set up since October, and maybe another cord in falling down stacks. ;-P

I'm gonna try to split some pine like a madman coming up soon to try to supplement the shoulder seasons next year.

It just shows you how well insulated their houses are. insulation should be your off-season target this year it you want to reduce your consumption.

I have burned 4 cords so far and have 2 cords left I can access and 3-4 cords that is deeply buried under snow. It has been a long winter so far here in MIchigan. House has been warm!

We've burned through 2 double loads of hardwood ( so what's that in full cords... say 15-16 per if cut out and split ) and a double load of poplar, maybe 12 skids of slabs and a dump truck full of moldy hay.

There's a double load of white birch, one of mixed maple and beech and one of poplar left. We just burn slabs when we run out of other stuff.

Next year will be better, we'll gut that building and make apartments out of it, the heat loss won't be anything like it is today.

Burned a little over two cords. I have about six cords left but only three that could be
burned this year.

"While I'm not out of wood and in fact have enough for next winter, my wood guy is making me nervous. I placed an order for 12 cord early in December for the 2010/2011/2012 seasons and was told I was 4th on his list, probably not going to deliver before January. Well... it's February and we got a mild spell that is starting to turn the bush roads soft. I like to burn Black Ash which grows in swamps so Winter is the only time to get it out of the bush. If we get a quick thaw, the wood will be stuck in the bush until next Winter."

I think you are okay for a while yet!!

one face cord ;)

i don't know how much i burned - should have enough and have a whole bunch of logs to buck and split come spring

i have used between 4 1/2 and 5 cords so far and anticipating 2 1/2 - 3 more. we started with less than steller wood so we went through more than we should have.

Started burning the middle of October and this morning chucked the last of three cords (two wheelbarrow loads) down the chute into the basement. I have more than 4 seasoned cords left under the woodshed. It is February, but we have a January thaw here in southern Wisconsin. 50s yesterday...going to be day time high in the 40s most of next week.

Jackpine

I've burned a little over 2 cords and have a little over a half a cord left of seasoned and a half cord of maple that isn't quite ready. Hopefully, I won't need to use much of it!

Currently splitting over 3 cords of green elm.for 2010. Will start cutting and splitting some dead elm for 2009 as soon as I can get into the woods.

Burned 4 cords and have 1 1/2 left so it will be touch and go. This was my first year, I've burned no oil and this is my DHW as well. Next year I hope to do better, plus it's been damn cold this year!!

Have burned around 3.5 cords I have 5 cords sitting in the wood pile by the House that can still be used this year if need be.
garage was full at the start of december
5347330274_large.jpg

the wood pile used be 1 row of pallets longer also.

5347330296_large.jpg

24/7 with wood heat.
1800 SQ ' house and a 2 car garage that never gets' below 40 due to the fact that the wood boiler is located in the garage

4 - 4.5 a little better than half was Pine. 5 left and 4 more logged and ready to be processed.

Burned 4 cords, have 1.5 left under the deck ready to go. Plus 3 seasoned cords I was hoping to save for next year and a real lot of splitt oak
and pine for the next 2 years.

I was very disorganized this year with tearing out the old tri-fuel furnace and putting in the new woodchuck and heat pump. I am guesstimating that I've burned somewhere between 2 & 3 cords and have a little more than 1 cord left. Lots of tops down and seasoning in the woods I may have to go after. Still ... very cold winter and I'm sure I'm using less wood ... and the heat pump is shut off at the first clue that the temps are going to go below freezing. So the heatpump hadn't run since early December til this week. Hopefully the really cold weather is past. I'll be much more prepared for next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.