End of Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
Two generations left. Think $4/gallon is bad? How long before denial is not an option?

Good question. I Don't think the Gov't has a plan.
Gonna be up to us. But how?
Be allowed to drill in Alaska, & off shore US?
Natural gas?
Battery or mass transit inside big cities, say 20 mile radius?
No plans in the mill that I know of.
Good question

I remember in the 80's hearing about that oil would last for 20 years, so if we are now at 50 years we are doing pretty good actually.

lol 4 bucks a gallon! Ask the rest of the world how much they pay? We really pay way more than that......Just what shows at the pump.

What we pay at the pump for gasoline drives me crazy. Here in Canada it's about $1.25/liter ($4 or $5 per US gallon) but, for example, if you look at the Alberta tar sands I think the price we pay is far too small. Right now there are many thousands of acres completely polluted up there and I can see the tax payer being left to pay for the clean up. The fast, easy money will be gone, and the company or subsidiary will claim to be broke and simply leave. Somebody has to clean this up and the clean up cost should be incorporated into the cost of the fuel that way those that use more pay more. Instead the tax payer will pay the bill. For fun check out the history of the Britannia mine, which is between Vancouver and Whistler. It's in the mining sector, but remarkably similar to the tar sands.

Amaralluis said:
I remember in the 80's hearing about that oil would last for 20 years, so if we are now at 50 years we are doing pretty good actually.

Are you good at math? World oil consumption is steadily increasing from 1980 (61,569,000 BPD) to 2009 (84,077,00 BPD), while production in most major oil fields is in sharp decline. We can drill like it's 1969 and it still is going to be in decline because of rampant consumption and waste. Oil will still be there, but it's going to be damned expensive by 2050. So much so that the use of it for fuel might be criminal. Keep up our current pace, without a plan and Mad Max doesn't seem like such a fantasy anymore.

Whatever, they also said we would all be using the metric system.

The article loses all credibility when the author starts spouting about carbon emissions. That immediately makes me dismiss her information as biased towards a pro enviro extremist.

Did you see man-bear-pig run by? I'm totally cereal.

BeGreen said:
Two generations left. Think $4/gallon is bad? How long before denial is not an option?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42224813

Were already OUT of the $1,2,3 dollar oil. And are now using up the $3.50-$4 oil. That may be OUT before the years end and so on and so forth.

Best to keep an open mind here. The report is by a major world bank's senior economist. BP has also published a report with similar conclusions. You may not agree with their solutions, but that doesn't change the net effect of increasing population growth and decreasing resources. There is one simple fact. Oil is a non-renewable resource.

When I read the posts here on this site about the amount of heating fuel people burn to heat there uninsulated old homes in the lower States and Canada with those mild climates on top of heating with a stove , I think is just sickening. These areas need to be addressed to stop the big dent in oil consumption. The money they are spending on oil leaves them broke to do any home upgrades after mortgage payments etc... Its an ignorant vicious circle. Owning and driving vehicles is another story. :zip:

Hah, loved the video, and I didn't know about using the natural logarithm to compute the doubling (tripling, etc) time. New mathematical tool in my limited arsenal!

We have yet to even address the real problem.
China has hit on the problem & we call it very unreasonable at the least.
The population of the people on this planet continues to grow. Every new person is
going to use oil.
Population control is not ever mentioned in US politics.
More people in the US, = using more oil!
More people in the US = need to create more jobs for
them or tax those working more to pay them entitlements to not work.
More people in the US = producing more food, consumer goods, vehicles, electricity, houses, which all increase the need for more oil.
the "untold reason" for using foreign oil is never mentioned, ** "use other countries oil first, save our for when they've run out"
If the oil was needed from ANWR, because their was no other place to get oil, we'd be drilling tomorrow.
Americans are not conservationist, we waste allot of energy recourses, recycle very little, because we can. (we're selfish, take from those people but don't take from me)
"Denial" of needing more oil, is a symptom. We will never have enough. We'd use it, it would be cheaper & we'd use more.
It is like fire wood, never have too much. :)
Too many people using this planet's resources is the real problem. Not enough jobs for all of us. To produce more food, more oil is needed.
Vicious circle now. We'll never have enough.

The problem is not a simple one, so no government is going to solve it.
We have to go through a severe collapse & failure to ever have a chance to solve the problems.

Have a good day :)

China is only part of the Asian growth. India may surpass them. All together they are already ahead of us in consumption and have a rapidly growing middle-class, which means a whole lot more consumption coming on line.

Attachments

• world-oil-consumption-001.jpg
    world-oil-consumption-001.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 515
north of 60 said:
When I read the posts here on this site about the amount of heating fuel people burn to heat there uninsulated old homes in the lower States and Canada with those mild climates on top of heating with a stove , I think is just sickening. These areas need to be addressed to stop the big dent in oil consumption. The money they are spending on oil leaves them broke to do any home upgrades after mortgage payments etc... Its an ignorant vicious circle. Owning and driving vehicles is another story. :zip:

Thats exactly why im against the "free" heating fuel program in the states(which obama cut in half by the way) Theres no attempt to solve the problem with conservation or insulation just pay to kick the can down the road another year. Would make more sense to buy people wood stoves than pay for their oil.

trump said:
north of 60 said:

Thats exactly why im against the "free" heating fuel program in the states(which obama cut in half by the way) Theres no attempt to solve the problem with conservation or insulation just pay to kick the can down the road another year. Would make more sense to buy people wood stoves than pay for their oil.
The problem with buying them woodstoves is you would have to cut their wood for them too! 90% of the population won't do that kind of manual labor. ITS WORK!!

mr.fixit said:
trump said:
north of 60 said:

The problem with buying them woodstoves is you would have to cut their wood for them too! 90% of the population won't do that kind of manual labor. ITS WORK!!

EXACTLY + it would be unsafe. These kind of people could not plan on processing wood or having it seasoned. Chimney fires galore. They would all need to by a truck etc with the money they don't have. A wood stove install cost= a minimum of $3500 would go farther on retrofits or high eff fossil fuel units.

north of 60 said:
mr.fixit said:
trump said:
north of 60 said:

EXACTLY + it would be unsafe. These kind of people could not plan on processing wood or having it seasoned. Chimney fires galore. They would all need to by a truck etc with the money they don't have. A wood stove install cost= a minimum of $3500 would go farther on retrofits or high eff fossil fuel units.

Solution?
I mean one practical that will work, in our culture & society.
Then work for the world. If we (North America) were to use less, price goes way down. Others use it more because now it's cheap.

Once you train the woman to chop and stack, its no problem!

It ain't gonna happen. We will take what we want, because that's what power does. There's hundreds of years of oil left in the world.....as long as we keep it for ourselves.

No doubt there are lots of oil reserves. But for sure the easy oil has already been taken. Now it gets more expensive and will continue to. That's why we're drilling over a mile down in the gulf.

[quote author="BeGreen" date="1301519363"]This is one of the best explanations about the effect of the growth of human consumption of fossil fuels that I have seen. It's simple math based on the exponential function. Take 30 minutes to watch this informative lecture by Dr. Albert Bartlett.

Video here: http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_video1.html

Audio here: http://old.globalpublicmedia.com/lectures/461
Whenever you start talking about slowing population growth be prepared to be pounced on from all sides.

trump said:
BeGreen said:
This is one of the best explanations about the effect of the growth of human consumption of fossil fuels that I have seen. It's simple math based on the exponential function.
Whenever you start talking about slowing population growth be prepared to be pounced on from all sides.

Very true. Won't ever hear a politician mention it. Political suicide.
For an overpopulation example, Haiti is a good example. Not one tree left on their 1/2 of the island.

I always remember the "fruit fly" experiment in school. Over a short time (in our life span, many generations for the flies)
They overpopulated the container, used up the apple, & all died. Pretty ugly slime on the bottom of the container
too, which caused some of the apple to rot (pollution)
It alway made me wonder when our apple would be used up, over polluted & begin to rot. Then what. Well all the fruit flies died, slime, bacteria
& mold grew over the entire container. Still had "Life" in the container, just no flies.

I was in the oil business. We had "T" shirts with nice pictures of Earth that said on the front. "EARTH NOW" & on the back,
"WE"LL DRILL THE OTHER PLANETS LATER"
Sure hope NASA is up to the challenge in a few decades. Humans are gonna have to find a "New Apple" in a few hundred years.

Status
Not open for further replies.