End of Season Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
This is my first year and ive lost my dvd that came with my stove Summers HEat model 2200 sq ft model

What do i need to do to give it a good cleaning.

So far ive taken off the plate at the back of the firebox and cleaned in behind it and even washed the plate up itself, as well as the plate at the firebox itself and scraped off all the hard stuff built up on it. As well as vacummed that area of course

What else needs to be done? Take off the pipe on back of the stove and clean that somehow?? How would i do this? Do i clean the piping outside? Whats a good way to do this?

Anything else?

Not sure ill even use the pellet stove next year if pellet prices doesnt fall

Chris, sounds like you have a good start to the cleaning, but there's more to it, I'm sure. If you want the DVD that you lost, I suggest that you send a PM to Mike Holten on this forum (stoveguy2esw) and explain.....I'd bet he'd send you a replacement DVD.....he's a nice guy.

I'd also do a search on this forum for the people that use a leaf blower to suck all the ash out of their stove...seems to be a good method to get all the stuff you can't see.

Take a look at this:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/

Vaccum out the whole thing. Clean the pipe to remove all the flyash. Vaccum out the hopper. Check all the gaskets etc and replace if needed. Not sure on oiling those. I think there is a grease fitting on the augers but not sure how often you have to grease it. Also I suggest you either disconect the pipe to the stove for the summer, or plug it off with some fiberglass insulation rembering to take it out in the fall and/or put some moisture rid inside the stove for the summer. Doing this will cut down on the dampness/humidity and prevent rust from forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.