End of season (Hopefully) Ramblings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Feb 20, 2009
Tecumseh Kansas
Howdy all. It is going to 80 degrees here today and has been quite warm here for still being Winter. I only have 10 pieces of hedge left from what I had preped for this year. Cutting it pretty close. I cleaned 15 gallons of ash out of the New Aire today. And yes we do remove about 5 gals. a week for 5 months. It is just a big dog (12cu/ft.box) I didn't take the shop vac to it as we might end up having to burn some more. Went through about 5 cords this year and only have maybe two cut split and stacked for next near. I need to get busy. A neighbor and I have just scored a half mile of Hedge/Hackberry that we can get to just about anytime. I have a mile of hedge here to cut but once the farmer starts on the fields, it can't be accessed. The new area will have to be cut in thirds. One for the neighbor one for the land owner and one for me. Not as nice as cutting my own. But better than not being able to go out and cut at all.
With alot of the ashes we have been removing I have been pouring them along 100' of stone retaining wall in hopes that it might keep the grass and weeds from growing there and my having to weed eat them. Will this work or have I just created a large mess?
Well it is warm enough to start working in the garden. It needs to dry out a bit first. So I think I will sit back today and watch TMC.

Your garden will thank you for any ashes you can throw its way cutter.

Only if you pile the ashes deep will it stop the grass from growing.

As for the end of the heating season....not yet!

^yup thought we were done yesterday. First time the stove went cold since fall...now she has a fire going again.

Our soils here are quite alkalyd so the ash can be a detriment. Some of our plants we have to pour the acid to in order for them to just grow let alone thrive and produce. And as Savage mentioned that I am heaping up the ashes several inches thick against my wall. I first noticed in the pasture where a couple of buckets got dumped instead of throwing them into the wind, that now I have spoils where nothing grows. So I decided to give it a try to lessen weed eating time. We have had ten days in a row where the overnight temps havan't dipped to the the freezing point.

Backwoods Savage said:
Only if you pile the ashes deep will it stop the grass from growing.

As for the end of the heating season....not yet!

That's for sure!
We still haven't received our late March Michigan snow fall.
I will leave the orange stakes along the driveway for another few weeks just in case we get enough snow that it needs to be plowed............ >:-(

man I just cant wait to get in the woods to start doing firewood! I like to burn the wood but I like processing it more!

Why wait?! You should have next year's wood put up by now.

too much snow here bub.

Status
Not open for further replies.