end of season maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC45er

Feb 12, 2009
I will be finishing up my 6th and last ton in my Harman PC45 in the next week or so. I know each stove is different, but, I am sure there are general off season maintenance procedures that apply to all stoves. My question is just that, what needs to be done to stove for off season?

since the stove will sit idle until Oct/Nov.....

Do door gaskets(or any other) get replaced as a preventative measure or wait till there is an issue?

My hopper has a rubber gasket, does this need to be treated to prevent drying/cracking

Do motors need lubrication? or just cleaned up?

Firebox, burnpots and flues obviously get a good cleaning, but, do they need to be treated in any way to prevent corrosion or oxidation in the off season?

OAK and vent will get blocked up to prevent hot/cold air and critters from coming in. Do you leave them disconnected from the stove during off season? or leave them connected and fire it up once in a while to keep things moving?

Are there any other parts that need to be replaced or serviced to prevent issues in the coming fall?

thanks for any tips or links that help answer these questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.