1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

End of season ramblings

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by n3pro, Feb 28, 2013.

1. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    Climalogical end of winter is here and the forecast seems to agree. Poking around a few weather sources looks like we are starting off below normal then mid-month spring quick snap comes.

Looking back on the season, the first with the Englander 30, I'm extremely pleased. Going from a too small stove to a too big stove I finally have the peace of mind as we had three days test where it got down to single digits and only in the teens during the day that if we ever lost power for a duration in the cold we can stay comfy. The Napoleon would have no problem keeping the bedrooms warm low - mid 70's if I kept it fed every 4-5 hours however the rest of the house I would struggle to get out of the low 60's. With the Englander it was no problem maintaining the low to mid 70's throughout with the help of doors and fans without the help of the furnace. Previous years I would keep the furnace at 70 because it would take a few fires to get the temperature up to the mid 70's we like. With the Englander the furnace is set at 65 and only kicked on a few time that I know of and for the week we were in Florida the end of December.

Doing the end of the season inventory, I figured on 3 cord which is my average and used about that, which leaves me close to four cord for next year (a record) if I don't get any more ( like I would let that happen ). Two cord was bought April last year and two cords was a scrounge in September.

The end of the season is sort of bitter-sweet. I love the family time by the wood stove (kitty cat included as family) and love the feeling and the challenge of making the perfect fire. I love the ambiance and the lack of concern when the heating bill comes or when someone leaves the door open too long. My cat loves to snuggle with the wood, sleep on the wood, play with the wood. He loves to lay by the fire. He eagerly awaits my return from work to get the stove started again. We will both miss it. However there is an eagerness to put away the coats and not have to bundle up to do anything outside. I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bit since I won't have to get up early to get the stove started. I'm looking forward to longer daylight hours and getting outside and enjoying nature. I already have my list of projects.

Winter used to be much less tolerable before I was introduced to wood heating. I used to gain 20 - 30 pounds being a couch potato. Another winter and I can say I only gained 5 pounds. Of course I enjoy all the activity here. Though I'm here all year round many are not. Thank you everybody for making this such a wonderful internet stop.

Happy springtime!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hehheh . . . heating season is far, far from over for me.
    Beetle-Kill, LEES WOOD-CO and ScotO like this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm dissappointed by another lame-ass winter.....I was hoping to try and "guage" how much wood I would end up using with the second stove online now (NZ3000 fireplace). But it was a totally erractic winter, with way too many ups and downs to do any 'redneck scientific testing'......oh, well. I guess we'll have to wait til we get a winter (which may never happen again).

Not to mention all of the beautiful sawlogs/firewood (all white oak) that I had big plans on getting off of the farm this past winter (needed the snow to drag them out with the sled), didn't happen......will have to wait til next year I guess....if even then....

Then to top it off, I'm STILL plugging away at the living room remodel. Got most of the big jobs done, just waiting on my reclaimed pine flooring to get back from the Amish (getting planed and re-tongue/grooved) and we'll be all but done in there. But that room, hovering over my head all damm winter, kept me from doing a TON of tree jobs this winter (lost some of them to competitors, etc), and more importantly it kept me from being able to make maple syrup and THAT pizzes me off....

Okay, rant over. There's always next year.......MAYBE......;)
    n3pro likes this.
  4. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I figure we are due here for a dozy. I thought this year would be the payback for last year, I was wrong. See what happens next winter. We only get a bad winter when people are not prepared. If you see a lot of snow blowers for sale on craigslist, watch out! After all this year is the unlucky number 13 if you believe that stuff.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sorry :-( Its a tough job but someone got to carry the flame while others of us stare at a cold stove with only fond memories.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Daffodils are just about to open here, crocuses are already passing by. I saw bumblebees around last weekend. And we have blooming cherry and plum blossoms inside from the prunings of the trees. We still have cool nights, but the days are getting warmer and longer.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I am just walking into wood burner's hell. Keeping the joint warm and not over heated. It ain't getting real warm here anytime soon. Then all of a sudden it will be like the last two years. Hit 90 during the first week of April. And fell back off again. <>
    n3pro and ScotO like this.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yeah, it's 51F outside, but the wife had a small fire that she kept going from my morning fire so I'm just rolling with it a couple logs at a time.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    This post needs some pics for those of us who are still snow-bound and only have white, gray and brown landscapes to look at.
    jeff_t and Jags like this.
  10. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    ScotO likes this.
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Hmmm...I still have winter. 6" on the ground. Another inch dusting coming up. Wind whipping up drifts and waking up to teen digits. We are getting highs that get close to the freezing mark, but that is not out of the ordinary.

You'll get over that. I do - right around Jan 3rd.
  12. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I'm only 2 hours west of you n3pro but my wood processing area ain't looking like spring yet (that's 5 minutes ago, currently snowing, behind my office parking lot which sits at 2300 feet elevation on the Laurel Ridge plateau, not as much snow down at our house at 1500 feet elevation):

Attached Files:

13. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Well, t'aint so here.
    Still a foot or so of snow on the ground and cold. The calendar/climalogicalists can say whatever, but what's outside my house is what tells me when winter is over.
    Nice musings, though.
    I'll give it another 10 weeks and then probably stop burning......if ma nature cooperates. We are due for a slight warmup soon. That'll be nice, but so then begins the "burning hell", as BB so aptly put it.
  14. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Hello n3pro! You may not remember me but your emails and PMs were a HUGE help to me last year when we bought our Napoleon used and were struggling to keep it going. Well, just over a year later, we are still loving it. I work from home so I have the luxury of tending the fire all day. I go to bed about 11pm get up at 5:30 and start the stove again. The furnace does kick on about 3:30 when the temps downstairs hit 64 but the upstairs is still usually about 70 when we get up.

I often think about a bigger stove but we are only heating 1,000 sq ft and as it is this stove can blast us out of the living room on a full good load.

I too am looking forward to spring but only so all this dang ice stops ripping the tarps on top of my wood piles ;)

We still have a while to go before we won't light the fire. Being in a stone house, its damp so even in early spring we are still burning, way into May last year!

I figure burning pretty much 24/7 with the exception of a few days here and there I had to travel, we have gone though just about 3 cords so far, a bit more than expected but better than needing oil! Still have 125 gallons as back up.
    n3pro likes this.
  15. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I sure do remember you, that really made my week, thank you. I'm glad to hear I was able to help. I'm used to be the receiving end not the giving end. Great to here things are going well!
  16. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
  17. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NOAA was this

That awkward moment when you start a post and shortly after it appears you were misled :eek: or duped

Attached Files:

18. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    K, I'll shoot some tomorrow.
  19. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Our local weather wizards are cautiously watching that wave of weather over the Pacific Ocean right now. Some of the models point to us getting a wet snow butt kicking Tuesday or Wednesday but it is too far out to really forecast.
  20. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Almost hit 60 today. Little green leaves are starting to show.
    n3pro likes this.
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    :mad:
    Jags, Beetle-Kill and Hearth Mistress like this.
  22. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    :mad::mad::mad:
    -10::F when I got to the shop yesterday.
    6" of crap on the road today, took 78 minutes to go 32 miles.
    Oh yeah, can't wait for "Spring break" traffic. {sarc} ;hm
  23. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  24. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Still about a foot on the ground here from the 2 storms in past 9 days,temps upper 20's-low 30's the last week.Another storm expected late tommorow night into Monday,several inches are predicted there.