End of season water treatment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwh442

Nov 18, 2008
Southeast Indiana
This is my rookie year with a pressurized or closed system boiler.

I added some boiler treatment to my water from Cozy Heat when I started the boiler up in November of 2008 for the first time. I have not opened up the piping since then.

Do I let the water in the entire system until Fall and use it again? Do I change it in the Fall and add new water and new treatment solution? I would think the worst thing to do would be to drain it and close it up.

I would go by the instructions from the stove company, for my CB they say to test the water again after six months from initial fill, and then at the begining of the next heat season. I wouldn't drain anything since you have the water treatment in, draining it would allow air and rust.

With a pressurized system, just let her cool down and your good to go till next fall. I'm using a water to air exchanger in my furnace so the one thing I do is close off shutoffs by this so that I can switch on the AC and I don't start to have a ghost flow of water while cooling the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.