End of the season chat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cherry is nice wood and easy to put up, but ash is even better! Fortunately, we have both here but the ash will soon be gone. I do not know if the ash will be able to make a comeback after the borer gets done or not but I hope so. We've lost a lot of really nice trees from this.

This next season will be a much better season. I have had all but 1 of my cords c/s/s for most of the year and all of the wood is drying very nicely. I enjoy this time of year for the occasional sunny day and the opportunity to get out the barbecue. Nothing like the first pork shoulder of the summer, or chicken with cherry smoke, brisket with apple smoke.... So choose your favorite. My friends say I'm fire crazy, I just like the multi-purpose, fire inside fire outside...

Hey Jake, I came into 6 - 18 inch cherry logs today. The weahter was a bit crappy here but I knew after the conversation here that I was going to hand split them today. After the first split I took a quick look around then I gave it a good whifff, very nice....

My Oslo heats my home said:
Hey Jake, I came into 6 - 18 inch cherry logs today. The weahter was a bit crappy here but I knew after the conversation here that I was going to hand split them today. After the first split I took a quick look around then I gave it a good whifff, very nice....

Just be forewarned . . . the smell can be addicting. ;)

firefighterjake said:

Unless its Oak, I was given 3 truck loads of oak today and as I was splitting it, I kept smelling this awful smell. Picked up one of the splits, smelled it and just about puked! :sick:

egclassic said:
firefighterjake said:

Unless its Oak, I was given 3 truck loads of oak today and as I was splitting it, I kept smelling this awful smell. Picked up one of the splits, smelled it and just about puked! :sick:

I love the smell of fresh split Oak in the morning, smells like victory!

Long time no see, everybody, I have been wasting my time playing School of Wizardry on Facebook. :)
We used almost every last bit of split firewood that we had this year. Plenty of rounds that need to be split. Getting older and may need to actually rent a splitter this year instead of doing it all myself, since I am so far behind with the maul. Got a bit of whiplash and it is hard to bend over and pick wood up right now. Sigh. Also hard for gardening. We did some cutting today in the yard, dead wood, but I couldn't pick it up. Hubby is good for that. :) Also spend a lot of time protesting here in WI, but that is another topic!

Good to see you back. And you need to take care of that back too.

Warning: if you purchase a hydraulic splitter and learn to use it right you might hurt your leg trying to kick yourself in the butt for not buying it sooner!

Welcome back Marcia. If you an hubby team up at the splitter you will be amazed how quickly you will knock off those rounds. You might want to rent one first to get the hang of it and to learn about the features and options. And in spite of the kibitzers in the crowd, sitting while splitting is fine.

Backwoods Savage said:

Warning: if you purchase a hydraulic splitter and learn to use it right you might hurt your leg trying to kick yourself in the butt for not buying it sooner!
Dennis,
I thought you would appreciate this. I hurt my back 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to get to the last load of ash and pin oak from my son's neighbor's tree. My back really hurt for a week and half, but was feeling some better today. I really wanted to split some wood (mostly, I was tired of sitting around babying my back and doing nothing) So I decided to try Dennis' method and go ahead and try a little splitting. Here is the picture. I split about a half cord before I wore out and it sure saved my back! You may have converted me :cheese:
Thanks for the inspiration,
Steve

Attachments

• Vertical Split edit.jpg
    Vertical Split edit.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 173
I only stand an split small stuff and most of our wood is not small stuff. Good to hear your back is feeling better. Take it slowly now.

BeGreen said:
I only stand an split small stuff and most of our wood is not small stuff. Good to hear your back is feeling better. Take it slowly now.
Thanks BG, problem is, "slowly" has just never been in my vocabulary, but this getting older stuff is making me think about it a little more.

Hey chief, sorry to hear about the back but good to hear you have found the key to working with it; vertical rocks! I see you also have a good cushion.

Can you possibly line those splits up closer to you? It might call for getting up every so often to line more up but that would perhaps be good for your back as too much reaching can also be a back killer. You might even be able to move those rounds using only one foot rather than bending over. Just get them on their side and push with a foot. You line up a few and then sit back down. This action might just be some salvation to a sore back.

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis,
I thought you would appreciate this. I hurt my back 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to get to the last load of ash and pin oak from my son's neighbor's tree. My back really hurt for a week and half, but was feeling some better today. I really wanted to split some wood (mostly, I was tired of sitting around babying my back and doing nothing) So I decided to try Dennis' method and go ahead and try a little splitting. Here is the picture. I split about a half cord before I wore out and it sure saved my back! You may have converted me :cheese:
Thanks for the inspiration,
Steve

I like the padded milk carton. I used a 5 gallon pail with a tractor seat on top :)

I got the last of it split today. It was a cloudy, damp, cold day and it felt good to get finished. The back is fine but the fire I started in the old Buck Stove, when I got done, felt really good on it.

Attachments

• 2011 wood done edit.jpg
    2011 wood done edit.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 138
My old stove is sitting out back of the stacks and I have been burning in it every night for a couple of weeks. Feels good.

Just can't let go of the old sucker.

BrotherBart said:
My old stove is sitting out back of the stacks and I have been burning in it every night for a couple of weeks. Feels good.

Just can't let go of the old sucker.
BB, I guess me too, except mine is still in the living room :) I love the new Hampton with all the new technology, but I still love my Buck too!, In fact, so far, when I am just going to fire up only one, the Buck is always my choice. We have been keeping each other warm for so long, I just can't part with it.

If old brownie hadn't cracked a weld it would still be heating this joint too. All things considered I am glad it did. Cut the wood consumption in half but I still miss the damned thing. I could run it in my sleep or half drunk. The last half.

BrotherBart said:
If old brownie hadn't cracked a weld it would still be heating this joint too. All things considered I am glad it did. Cut the wood consumption in half but I still miss the damned thing. I could run it in my sleep or half drunk. The last half.
I know what you mean! Sorry to hear the old stove had to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.