Q&A End of the season for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Should the pellet stove be empty of pellets at the end of the season? I also see a rust spot on my stove ( it in the basement and I do plan to run the dehumidifier during the summer) Is there anything I should put on the rust spot which seems to me to be on a decorative top part of the stove. I have a Breckwell pellet stove . Thanks for answering my questions. G. H.

Answer:

You should definitely empty the stove of all Pellets and make certain it is clean and dry. Depending on exactly where the rust spot is, you might want to use some fine steel wool, and then either some matching touch-up from Breckwell or some light oil just to protect the steel over the summer.

The Pellet venting should also be checked, as well as the heat exchangers in the stove. These should be cleaned of all fly ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.