End of Winter as we Know it (Mar. 19)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Today marks the end of winter. We've gone through a little over 2 cord with a mix of Hemlock, Ash, Cherry, Locust & Silver Maple. Our insert is on it's second season and did us well again. I'm sure we'll continue to burn until we don't need to.

I was telling the wife the other night that when you "pack the box" and get a nice flame going, at that point all of your wood processing hard work becomes worth it.

So keep those stoves going. Make sure that wood is up. And enjoy Spring. You deserve it.

Almost, I believe Spring starts tomorrow morning. March 20, 7:02 A.M. EDT

Someone's going to need to tell ma nature. It's like living in a snow globe here today. 10" more expected by tomorrow. I love winter, but I'm OK with the snow going buh-bye right about now.

Spring came in a little early! >>

Attachments

• 100_6919-001.JPG
    100_6919-001.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 112
The calender may say Spring but we're lookn at 20's at night here in ol Kaintucky. It's snowed here in April

The calendar might say spring but local weather is taking about a potential coastal storm for monday:)

Don't know bout you guys but my brain works in "days", not exact time intervals. So...you can have your 7:02, I'll enjoy my last day/evening of winter.
Don't feel bad, I thought it was March 21. Guess its kinda moot since old man winter is still crapping all over us for another week or 2 anyway. If I gotta shovel in April I'm gonna lose it...

Not feeling bad at all. I knew and know when winter is over. It's called tonight for me.

I don't care what the calender says we have a while till the end of winter! Will go through about 4 and a face to 4.5 cord this winter, at least that's my prediction as I figure I'll be burning up to Memorial day part time.

From NWS for my area
  • Wednesday Scattered snow showers, mainly before 10am, then a chance for flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. West wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Wednesday Night Scattered flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. West wind around 10 mph.
  • Thursday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as zero. West wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Thursday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. West wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Friday Scattered flurries. Partly sunny, with a high near 31.
  • Friday Night A chance of flurries. Partly cloudy, with a low around 12.
  • Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
  • Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 13.

Reactions: ScotO
Today marks the end of winter. We've gone through a little over 2 cord with a mix of Hemlock, Ash, Cherry, Locust & Silver Maple. Our insert is on it's second season and did us well again. I'm sure we'll continue to burn until we don't need to.

I was telling the wife the other night that when you "pack the box" and get a nice flame going, at that point all of your wood processing hard work becomes worth it.

So keep those stoves going. Make sure that wood is up. And enjoy Spring. You deserve it.

You are correct! My wife is getting into the stove a lot more than i expected. We still need to get over to Punxy and rough up that lying inconstant succubus of a groundhog, though.

Ditto. Sick of snow,ice, thaw and mud! Spring may be Wednesday but I broke down and had a cord of kiln wood delivered today as my shoulder season may go way into May at the rate we are going! Way better than buying oil. Still have a half a tank but it kills me to let it run for more than the few hours between my stove dying out around 3 am and me re-firing it up around 6 am.
I'm down to my last 1/4 cord of "decent" wood leaving just the ash from Sandy, which is drying nicely but has a little sizzle still. Can't believe I've gone through almost 4 cords in our little stove in our little house but I've never been happier (and warm) even if the dogs and my hubby sleep ON the blankets because it's a cozy 74 upstairs :)

Reactions: Ashful
While it's technically spring tomorrow, the weather forecast indicates that it's another night to fire up the woodstove. With luck, we are closing in warmer weather and home grown tomatoes.

Right, cold and wet here. 43F presently. Fire feels darn good after being out in this stuff.

Here's a marvelous, tremendous, inspring, stupendous spring weather forecast:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
401 AM EDT WED MAR 20 2013

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT
THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO REGION WITH THE HEAVIEST
SNOWS ON THE TUG HILL.

* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES TODAY...5 TO 9 INCHES
TONIGHT...AND 3 TO 6 INCHES THURSDAY.

UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW WILL FALL TODAY EAST OF
LAKE ONTARIO UNDER THE MOST PERSISTENT BANDS.
TONIGHT AN ADDITIONAL FOOT IS POSSIBLE EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO.

I have about 6" in the driveway from last night. What better way to welcome spring?

Spring officially began 9 minutes ago. Woo hoo! Why am I still loading stoves?

Reactions: Defiant
6-8 inches of fresh snow on the ground and temps in the 20s . . . hurrah Spring is here. I hear that other parts of Maine and New England ended up with close to or more than a foot of snow.

Reactions: ScotO
Well it's 21 outside and snowing.. I'm not so ready to clean out the stove just yet.

Currently -3::F chance of 1-2" of snow this afternoon. Another snowstorm predicted for the weekend.
Wood is buried under 2' of snow, (not counting drifts), wood supply in house will last about a week.
Currently average highs are >10::F below average.
Trend will continue at least through the end of Marchuary.

Reactions: bag of hammers
Shoveling again this morning - throwing the snow over the banks at the end of the driveway and it's rolling back down on me 'cause I'm too old and wimpy I guess to toss it high enough to clear the snowbank. I think the most depressing part of this is that even when the weather turns, it will take a couple weeks to melt what's on the ground - in the city. Looking on the bright side, out in the sticks, we'll probably still have a couple of decent beer cooler spots left under the cedars / pines until mid-May....

Status
Not open for further replies.