End of Winter as we Know it (Mar. 19)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, feels more like january/ february then the end of march here. highs in the mid 30s and a fresh 13" on the ground! 20130320_065851 (Large).jpg

Beautiful picture, though. Hard to imagine getting tired of that.

Reactions: ScotO
Beautiful picture, though. Hard to imagine getting tired of that.

Oh im not tired of it! im the biggest fan of snow there is. Miles on the snowmobile in mid march is always a treat!

Thanks ColdNH for the beautiful pic, and the upbeat attitude (being out in the woods in early Spring is awesome). Got me thinking back to those days when we used to do a lot of ice fishing in the Spring - a sunny warm day on a remote little lake, while the ice was still good. Open fire, coffee percolating, sausages / dogs on the grill - I miss those days...

Last year, it was 80 degrees on this date. This year, high of 18, low of 7.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This cold weather will last into the second week of April, burn on!

I'd love to have some real snowpack, if we did, I'd be hoping for a couple more weeks of cold so I could ride the snowmobile a little more. But it's been an up/down, sloppy, muddy miserable mess for over a month here, and I am thoroughly ready for spring....big time....

Tug Hill, first day of spring. You like?

State Rt 177 was closed due to snow.

Barnes Corners reports 22 inches of snow.

Montague rumored to have received around 36 inches...

Not real cold, in the teens this morning. And it was snowing again.

Blaze King don't care though.

Tug Hill 20 Mar 2013.jpg

Reactions: ColdNH and ScotO
I didn't know that the snow was supposed to magically stop on the FIRST day of spring. Is it supposed to start back up on the first day of fall?

I didn't know that the snow was supposed to magically stop on the FIRST day of spring. Is it supposed to start back up on the first day of fall?

No; just gives us something to talk about I guess.

How is the snowmobiling in PA? dont hear much about it? or do you trailer north?

Got in a short 30 mile ride from my door last night. nice having the day light till almost 7pm, 2+ feet of snow in the woods and freshly groomed trails on march 20th!
20130320_183500 (Large).jpg20130320_185657 (Large).jpg20130320_185714 (Large).jpg

I'd love to have some real snowpack, if we did, I'd be hoping for a couple more weeks of cold so I could ride the snowmobile a little more. But it's been an up/down, sloppy, muddy miserable mess for over a month here, and I am thoroughly ready for spring....big time....

It would be nice if it at least started on the FIRST day of winter...

Winter didnt start this year (in NH as far as snowfall is concerned) until february 1st..

It would be nice if it at least started on the FIRST day of winter...

Winter didnt start this year (in NH as far as snowfall is concerned) until february 1st..

You people in cold country aren't used to "spring" coming until the season we call "summer". Snowing on 3/21 in Va is unacceptable. At the end of feb, thought I was going to have leftover wood. Now wondering if I'll have to start scrounging...I'm not touching next year's stack(s).

You people in cold country aren't used to "spring" coming until the season we call "summer". Snowing on 3/21 in Va is unacceptable. At the end of feb, thought I was going to have leftover wood. Now wondering if I'll have to start scrounging...I'm not touching next year's stack(s).

Last year we had a week of 80 degree weather this same exact week. Now that was weird!! The pic below was taken 3.20.12 at Mt Sunapee Country Club!
20120320_111350.jpg

38F today, chance of snow over 500ft. March madness continues.

Guys thanks for posting those great pics. Sometimes I forget we don't have a monopoly on snow up here in the great white. Weather guy on a Michigan radio station this morning mentioned last year's record high temp was 84 deg F. Wow. We have a TON of snow on the ground here now, but one of those sleds in my yard would sure help take the edge off (...jealous....).

Reactions: ColdNH
Been a very snowy winter for MA:
(Rankings):

Screen_shot_2013-03-12_at_9.41.04_AM_thumb.png

Some March snow rankings (Blue Hill Observatory):

Blue Hill Greatest Snowstorms, inches, (1885-2013):
1) 38.7 on Feb 24-28, 1969
2) 30.3 on Mar 3-5, 1960
3) 30.1 on Feb 6-7, 1978
4) 30.0 on Mar 31 - Apr 1, 1997
5) 29.8 on Mar 6-8, 2013
6) 26.6 on Feb 8-9, 2013

7) 24.7 on Feb 17-18, 2003

Credit: Joe D'Aleo

Yep, we've got a chance of snow the next 3 days and the last two days we've seen snow. Thats in KC too. The weather pattern has changed since that Meteriote hit Russia, I've noticed. After it hit, we got two big hits of snow fall within 5 days apart, for us 20" of snow is almost our average for a year. But I just heard that the old wise tail was that a Early Easter means a Late Spring. Never heard that one, but I'd say that where we are heading for. And loving every moment.

But yea, I'm having to dig into my third cord this year, and I usually only almost gotten there in the last 2 years. But really glad I got the new my new stove in when I did, I was cold for that weekend and half with out it.

Oh im not tired of it! im the biggest fan of snow there is. Miles on the snowmobile in mid march is always a treat!

Most definitely . . . Spring riding is the best . . . well until you hit a section of trail that is all gravel or mud. :(

We are covered in about 1" white and I just heard the UP in Michigan got 26" of snow the other night. We wanted winter this year lol it's making up for last year now.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.