Ended up getting some of the compost site Oak after all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Some of you guys might remember back in March I was given a "heads-up" by one of the local Borough workers that there was a TON of Oak at our local compost site, but a lot of the workers went in there before it even opened and pretty much cleaned it out, and even invited a bunch of their pals in too, and all that they left for the taxpayers were a few oddball monster rounds that would take you 2 hours to work a few rounds off. Well today I cruised through, and low and behold the guy who called me about it was working there; he immediately apologized to me what happened and that I didn't get any of it, and I told him it was no problem, God is good to me and always provides wood so it's okay. Well this guy felt so bad about it he asked "do you have your saw with you?" and I didn't, but said "I know where he is" and he actually took me back to the area that they are clearing and told me since he was working I could come back and take what I wanted from the downed stuff, so I came home and got my saw and went back up and ended up with 21 rounds 18" long of fresh Red Oak, so this fellow was happy as it really bothered him that I missed out. This guy was in the Marines, and was one of the FIRST guys to go into Afghanistan back in 2001, and for him to remember me and do that and feel like I was cheated just was amazing to me. So I got some of it anyways! :)

Nice end to the story. Bring that fella a nice reward. Maybe a 12 pack of Yuengling?

A big Semper Fi to that guy.

By the way, which part of PA is Emmaus?

It's about 7 miles Southwest of Allentown.

About 6 years ago I sold this fella a 6 foot trailer, and when we got to the notary to do all the "legal" transfers and all we found out that the legal stuff cost more than we expected, so he asked if I could knock off some money off the trailer and I said "sure, why not", so he probably also remembers that episode. Plus I could tell that he REALLY didn't like the fact that one of the borough workers had lots of his friends come in there before the place was even open, and that borough worker wasn't even with them, he was down at the local Mercentile club! But like I told him "those guys are gonna have a surprise come Winter when they try to burn fresh Oak that was only split for about 8-9 months" as this stuff is fresh and wet....but a great gesture any way that you look at it, a really good guy.....

By the way, which part of PA is Emmaus?
Closer to Allentown. Yes, good to hear there are still good people in this world, and who wouldn't appreciate some of that fine Lager?

Status
Not open for further replies.