Energex and Fireside ultra pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaterhunter

Dec 14, 2010
Maine
I've been burning Fireside Ultra's for a couple of weeks and love them! Tractor Supply tells me that Fireside Ultra's are made by energex in canada. Now I've found real Energex Canadian from Lac Megantic. I took a couple of photos just to make sure these energex are the ones that I've heard people talk about being a great pellet. I've heard J-takeman mention that when you pull them out of the bag they are very dark and this tells the story...?? I took pictures of each pellet and they are distinctally different. The pellets on the right are the energex and the pile on the left are the fireside ultra's. Not as noticable in the picture as in real life but to sum it up the energex are several shades darker, shinier on the outside and many more 3/4 to 7/8 size pellets compared to the fireside ultra's which tend to be closer to the 1/2 size. I'm currently doing the test run on these energex. Has anyone burnt these energex and did they work well for you?

Attachments

• DSC00504.jpg
    DSC00504.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC00503.jpg
    DSC00503.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 627
yes, I got 4 tons of that energex, same bag, and there the best pellet I ever used. In the past I used agway,new england, and pelletsales.com clear fire hard and soft. Good heat very little fines and my glass stays clean a bit longer, I would definitely buy them again.

Burned over 2 tons of Energex, great pellet. In my area $229 ton.

I just burned a bag of fireside ultra last night.
They said product of Canada, and they were very dark.
Just like the Energex in this pic. They also burned very hot
In my stove. I wonder if they are the same pellet.
Tonight I'm gonna try the Energex. They have them at
Home Depot for $3.74/bag.

I have burned a half ton of both Fireside and Energex. At first I thought they were made by the same company but the company names on the bags are different. The Fireside burned a little hotter than the Energex and both had an average amount of ash. I just bought a half ton of Energex at Home Chepo for $3.74 a bag.

Almost done the bag of Energex as I type this. It appears that they are the same pellet. Same heat, same ash, and the both have the PPI logo on the upper left corner of the bag.

After doing my non-scientific 4 bag test I found the pellets to be very comparable to the Fireside ultras as far as burn rate, heat, and ash content. Only difference was the clinkers from the energex seemed to be more like a brick versus the fireside ultra clinkers are easily crushed to fine ash. Good pellet IMHO.

I also just tried a bag of Fireside Ultra form HD. Pellets were dark almost black, strong spruce smell.
Did not burn well, some even looked like they melted, turned ash around the pellet black. Bad batch?
I will return the other 2 bags to HD.

I'm very surprised. I have burnt 35-40 bags and haven't had that problem. My next 4 ton that I purchased and haven't picked up yet better not be that batch...

Status
Not open for further replies.