Energex & Eastern Embers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdaniel

Nov 15, 2008
Central Massachusetts
I just purchased one ton of Energex and one ton of Eastern Embers pellets to finish off the heating season. The Eastern Embers are about the same as the LG's that I have been burning - average ash and decent heat. The Energex on the other hand are horrible!! I had burnt them a couple years ago, but I think their quality has gone down to to nothing. I knew I was in trouble when I opened my 1st bag of the Energex and noticed that they were extremely dark in color, almost like a Hershey's chocolate bar. I do not remember them looking like this in the past. Once burning they quickly produce so much ash that it chokes out the fire; while producing soot on the glass.

I have contacted Energex via email to see if they are using bark as their primary ingredient!! No response from them yet and do not expect to hear much from them either. I usually "test" a few bags, but needed some quickly as I was all out. To mitigate the situation I got 1 ton of each; at least the Eastern Embers are decent.

Do not purchase Energex or you may be regretful as I am. BTW all other pellets that I burnt this season are decent and some are fabulous (Blazers). Good luck!!

mdaniel said:
I just purchased one ton of Energex and one ton of Eastern Embers pellets to finish off the heating season. The Eastern Embers are about the same as the LG's that I have been burning - average ash and decent heat. The Energex on the other hand are horrible!! I had burnt them a couple years ago, but I think their quality has gone down to to nothing. I knew I was in trouble when I opened my 1st bag of the Energex and noticed that they were extremely dark in color, almost like a Hershey's chocolate bar. I do not remember them looking like this in the past. Once burning they quickly produce so much ash that it chokes out the fire; while producing soot on the glass.

I have contacted Energex via email to see if they are using bark as their primary ingredient!! No response from them yet and do not expect to hear much from them either. I usually "test" a few bags, but needed some quickly as I was all out. To mitigate the situation I got 1 ton of each; at least the Eastern Embers are decent.

Do not purchase Energex or you may be regretful as I am. BTW all other pellets that I burnt this season are decent and some are fabulous (Blazers). Good luck!!

I burn Energex and I'm very happy with them. My energex pellets are not the color you describe though. I'd guess you got a bad batch! You could return them and try another ton or mix them with your Eastern Embers.

Energex comes in several different bags(they also re-bag a few others). The green bag is the Candian softwood blend. Then there is Juniata which is a hardood. American is another hardwood.

Does your bag have an Eagle on it?

mainegeek said:
For the record, my Energex bags are green and have a company address in Canada (Quebec, I think!)

I just finish testing them. There an upper level pellet for sure! Good heat and low ash level. Almost super premium quality out of a premium pellet. I will buy the green bags if there price is in my range! I liked them, and seem to do very well with about all the Canadian made pellets. They seem to have there act together as pellet makers.

Just looked at a bag and it is a green bag; produced in Canada I think. These are the darkest pellets I have ever seen; does anyone else have this color? Could be a bad batch as customer service got back to me and told me to contact the dealer I purchased from and they should contact Energex directly. We'll see what happens.
BTW, I burned Energex in 2005 and do not remember having issues like this or this color of pellet.

The color of the batch I tested is light tan. No funny smells, or anything. Possible batch issue seems to be an a problem with many pellet mills lately.

mdaniel said:
Just got a call from the place I purchased the pellets from. They are going to come back and swap out the crappy Energex with another ton of Eastern Embers. Now I am happy!

I will have to try those Easter Embers here someday!

Burning Energex American Hardwood (eagle on front of bag)....VERY DARK in color. I burned about 20 bags last season and was real happy. This year the pellets are below average. I had better luck burning Greene Team vs. the energex. I have been mixing the pellets 2 to 1 with my left over Country Boy White Lightning pellets. It's made it atleast bearable. I thought of trying to sell them on craigslist but I feel bad selling them so I'll just burn through them and start burning my Barefoots next year that already have been stacked and stored. I can't return them since they came all the way from Central PA and I'm in Long Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.