Energex Green Bag (No Eagle) and Mt Vernon AE Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vgrund

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2005
Amherst, NH
Just today I'm switching over to this brand from LG. There is no guidance on the bag regarding the type of pellet. I'm curious what settings people are using with their AEs (hardwood/softwood/etc and flame height). I know I need to tailor to my specific situation, but you may spare me some time by providing some starting points.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure the ones without the eagle on them are softwood pellets, I know the eagles are hardwood and they make both. I would set it for softwood pellets and adjust your flame height as per the manual.

Yeah, I rolled with softwood for now. I am interested what other people are doing, just the same.

For the record of future forum searches, I cleaned my stove today and I found a lot of the ash to be sooty (jet black) behind the baffle. I haven't tried Energex in a while, they are significantly darker than that used to be (a light chocolate color). I switched over to hardwood and I'll see how that goes.

vgrund said:
For the record of future forum searches, I cleaned my stove today and I found a lot of the ash to be sooty (jet black) behind the baffle. I haven't tried Energex in a while, they are significantly darker than that used to be (a light chocolate color). I switched over to hardwood and I'll see how that goes.
My AE used to do the black soot behind the baffle on the heat exchanger until I started running it in the high elevation setting. I also recommend to try the sunflower seed setting and trim the flame height as needed to get the burn you want.
A lot of people will say the darker pellets contain bark thus giving them the dark coloring and maybe some pellet brands do but this stove will burn them if you mess with it enough, give it time to see the results and clean it regularly.

black soot means you are not getting enough combustion air, change to high elevation, softwood pellet and see how that goes, I don't think you need to feed more fuel and that is what sunflower setting will do. That setting feeds more fuel to the pot because it is a less dense fuel. If softwood don't work, I would then try hardwood and the utility, but all with high elevation.

I just cleaned the stove. Problem solved. No black soot, instead there was a nice fine gray ash behind the baffle. Using the hardwood setting did it for me (and +4 flame height as it turns out, more than I remember using with this brand before; I did not need to switch to high elevation). A lot of people say Energex "green bag" is a softwood pellet blend but I'm not so sure judging from the way it burned on the softwood setting and also by the color of the pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.