Energex pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just saw an ad on Craig's list for my local area. They are advertising them for guaranteed delivery no later than Oct.1 for $239/ton.

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on these, but at that price (which is $20-60 cheaper than anything else in my area), should i take a chance and get a ton? I already have 3 tons of NEWP and 1 ton of Lignetics......it's a tempting price for being in SE New York.....I'm going to be trying to heat 2000 Sq. Ft. for the first time w/ pellets.

I've burned Energex before and was not really a fan of them. However, I don't like the Hamer's Hot Ones (my favorite pellet) $20 - $60 more than the Energex. I'd say get 1 ton, but don't go "all in". Since you already have 3 tons of NEWP and 1 ton of Lignetics, they will keep until next year if you don't use them all and better to have too many than not enough.

I just got my stove in the middle of this past winter..and it came with a half ton of energex's and I thought they burned quite good.
I bought a few bags here and there of other brands (freedom fuels and penningtons) and it burned the best out of all that I bought.
I assumed the stove dealer gives them out as a 'standard' to show how well they burn.

Maybe it depends on the stove.
I have a harman p38.

I've had good luck with Energex.

not to change the subject, but why is everyone seem to buy 5 ton of pellets. is it the magic number and do they get used. or are people hording the pellets for the next year,maybe causing a price hike and shortage. heard of some people with 1500 sq ft houses buying 8-10 tons.seems alot to me

jsvo said:
not to change the subject, but why is everyone seem to buy 5 ton of pellets. is it the magic number and do they get used. or are people hording the pellets for the next year,maybe causing a price hike and shortage. heard of some people with 1500 sq ft houses buying 8-10 tons.seems alot to me

The way i have it now we burn 6 tons a season.

TooHot said:
You can check out their web site --- http://www.energex.com/common/index2.php?mkt=english
They claim to be the largest supplier of pellets in North America!
Tractor Supply sold them last year, $4.99 per bag.
I expect to be able to buy individual bags from them in the fall in addition to the 2 tons I have on order.

We are both in the same area...what Tractor Supply did you buy them from? I just got my 1 ton ordered in the Chester store...$239.50/ton works out to be $4.79 a bag.....you mean to tell me their cheaper than last year? Hard to believe!!

probably a regional thing , our TSC carries their "house brand" hardwood heat , and lignetics, eastern type from glenville WV. ive burned both brands and would feel quite safe in recommending either brand my 25-pdvc ran quite well with them both.

stoveguy2esw said:
probably a regional thing , our TSC carries their "house brand" hardwood heat , and lignetics, eastern type from glenville WV. ive burned both brands and would feel quite safe in recommending either brand my 25-pdvc ran quite well with them both.

Your probably right about the regional thing, but being cheaper than last year???? I'm happy if this is true, but hard to believe. So, do you have any opinion on the Energex?

macman said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Your probably right about the regional thing, but being cheaper than last year???? I'm happy if this is true, but hard to believe. So, do you have any opinion on the Energex?

we burned some in our lab about a year ago , they were nice enough to supply us some for some comparitive testing we were doing , and the ones we were shipped ( nothing unusual looked just like they just pulled a skid of em out and shipped em to us) they burned just fine in our units. if they were a staple brand down here with the prices im seeing posted , i'd likely burn them too. i'd be remiss if is didnt mention bruce lisle the owner is a heck of a nice guy as well. he currently chairs the PFI as well as runs his buisness. overall customer feedback ive gotten has been good as well.

mac man

search the site for energex you'll find pelnty of input my recolections is 65% positve 35% negative

at the enf of the day your house configuration plus your stove = a unique heating experience you'll have to decide.

the prices seems very competitve and pellets won't go bad if you dont burn them til next year

do be carefule with craig's list.. make sure the dudes are credible maybe that's another thread opportunity.

2000 sq feet seems like about 3-6 tons depdending on kind of house amount of insulation and location of stove.... relax there will be pellets available.

I order roughly about what I need and buy a ton from agway they offer storage of a ton for 10.00 and in the srping I pick up 20 bags at a time if I run out.

welcome to the site and happy burning

bp

stoveguy2esw said:
macman said:
stoveguy2esw said:

we burned some in our lab about a year ago , they were nice enough to supply us some for some comparitive testing we were doing , and the ones we were shipped ( nothing unusual looked just like they just pulled a skid of em out and shipped em to us) they burned just fine in our units. if they were a staple brand down here with the prices im seeing posted , i'd likely burn them too. i'd be remiss if is didnt mention bruce lisle the owner is a heck of a nice guy as well. he currently chairs the PFI as well as runs his buisness. overall customer feedback ive gotten has been good as well.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. Being a "newbie" to the whole pellet thing, I need as much good info as I can get. Nice to hear about a company willing to put their product to the test w/o any conditions....I'm feeling much better about my purchase already! Thanks again!

brewerpete said:
mac man

search the site for energex you'll find pelnty of input my recolections is 65% positve 35% negative

at the enf of the day your house configuration plus your stove = a unique heating experience you'll have to decide.

the prices seems very competitve and pellets won't go bad if you dont burn them til next year

do be carefule with craig's list.. make sure the dudes are credible maybe that's another thread opportunity.

2000 sq feet seems like about 3-6 tons depdending on kind of house amount of insulation and location of stove.... relax there will be pellets available.

I order roughly about what I need and buy a ton from agway they offer storage of a ton for 10.00 and in the srping I pick up 20 bags at a time if I run out.

welcome to the site and happy burning

bp

Thanks Pete, I was pretty careful when i saw the ad on CL, but now that I know it's from Tractor Supply, I'm not worried. And yes, I agree w/ you on the 65/35 opinions that I've seen too on the site....I'm not too worried now. I'll burn a few bags at first when the weather gets cold, and then try the NEWP and Lignetics I have...hopefully before this coming winter is over, I'll have a pretty good idea of what is what.

Thanks again everybody!

I have tried quite a few different brands and Energex was one of them.
While they are not my favorite out of the bunch, they did seem to burn
the hottest but also created the most ash.

I would purchase them again if I could not find my favorite.

Well, the TSC pellets finally arrived last week, so I made the trip to pickup my ton on Saturday. Paid for them ($239.50), and walked out to the stockyard. Come to find out, they got shipments from 2 different companies at the same time, and neither one was Energex!

It ended up one was Lignetics. I asked the yard foreman if it mattered which I took, and he said "no, doesn't matter to me", so I ended up with the Lignetics.....OH YEAH! :cheese:

I think the other brand was Fireside Ultra, but based on what I saw falling out of one broken bag (a major amount of fines!!!), I definately made out better than I imagined. He loaded them on the trailer as nice as could be, let me take an additional wood pallet, and down the road I went. Stacked them in the basement, so I have 2 1/2 tons indoors, and 2 1/2 outdoors in the "woodshed".

So now, when 84 Lumber gets their shipment of Lignetics in Oct-Nov, I'll be all set....3 tons of NEWP, and 3 tons of Lignetics.

Come on old man winter....do your worst....I'm ready for ya!!!! Can't wait for the snow to fly, as I sit by the stove sipping a "beverage". ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.