energex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HD has Energex for $209.00/ton uphere

wel i didnt pull the trigger first off my list was in my wallet at work
and i remember stove chow was getting ravs if i can find energex
for the same a chow i might pull the trigger on a ton of each

$239/ton here in upstate NY. I just finished my first ton of these and have no complaints. I burned some last year and liked them too. Very little ash and burn nice and hot. I will be buying another ton this week.

I only burned Energex this season and can't say anything bad about it. Best pellet I have ever used. Hot, low ash and really low fines which matters to me seeing that I run a Harmen that tends to get slideplate squeal on pellets with fines, I can only hope that Energex is as good next season.

Gets aweful confusing when you just say Energex. They have there hands on a few brands

Below is the Canadian softwood blend

Attachments

• Energex Ca 1a.jpg
    Energex Ca 1a.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 492
yes, thats the bag I have 4tons of, would love to get more of that stuff down in ct. Best pellet I ever used. Anyone know if the white bag is as good?

A few more that Energex has something to do with

Attachments

• Juniata Bag 1a.jpg
    Juniata Bag 1a.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Natures Own 1a.jpg
    Natures Own 1a.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Stove Chow bag 2.jpg
    Stove Chow bag 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 493
j-takeman said:
Just my 1 and 1/2 cents worth but....
I really did not like the Juniata pellets from '09/'10. Dark, dense pellet but left me in "clinkerland".
Good luck with other others labeled "Energex"

despalmy said:
j-takeman said:
Just my 1 and 1/2 cents worth but....
I really did not like the Juniata pellets from '09/'10. Dark, dense pellet but left me in "clinkerland".
Good luck with other others labeled "Energex"

All burned fine in my beast. Is it the pellet or the stove? hmmm!

Mr. Takeman, from all your testing of pellets I've followed on this forum, you do seem to be the expert here. What a lot of time and effort you've put into all that, kudos are in order!
Can you tell me why some pellets (like the Juniata last year and the Tri-State Biofuels this season) leave clinkers in less than 6 hours of burning, while others like Potomac (yellow pine) and this years American Wood Fibers (hardwood) do not? I could let the Potomac and AWF burn for 12+ hours and all I have left in the burnpot is ash, no hard clinkers. I can only deduce that the dark colored, dense and shiny pellets like the Mifflintown, PA produced Juniata (Energex) brand have more dirt and minerals in them than the others.
Having said that, if it is not the pellets and it is my stove, how do I reduce the formation of clinkers? I've always guessed the design of the Quadrafire burnpot was also a contributing factor in the clinker formation.
Your thoughts?

despalmy said:
Mr. Takeman, from all your testing of pellets I've followed on this forum, you do seem to be the expert here. What a lot of time and effort you've put into all that, kudos are in order!
Can you tell me why some pellets (like the Juniata last year and the Tri-State Biofuels this season) leave clinkers in less than 6 hours of burning, while others like Potomac (yellow pine) and this years American Wood Fibers (hardwood) do not? I could let the Potomac and AWF burn for 12+ hours and all I have left in the burnpot is ash, no hard clinkers. I can only deduce that the dark colored, dense and shiny pellets like the Mifflintown, PA produced Juniata (Energex) brand have more dirt and minerals in them than the others.
Having said that, if it is not the pellets and it is my stove, how do I reduce the formation of clinkers? I've always guessed the design of the Quadrafire burnpot was also a contributing factor in the clinker formation.
Your thoughts?

Hard to really say, Could be the combination of the 2. My little Quad had issues with Turmans which were great in my bigE and Omega. The Turmans have a dense ash that caused the burnpot dump door to jam on the Quad.

I am pretty spoiled with my new stove. It seems to like what I can afford. Stove Chow has been a decent pellet for it. I have also heard other members saying the Stove Chow has worked well for them. But you have to go with what the stove likes and doesn't cause issues. Some of the Mt Vernon members are having major clinker issues with the Hamers this season and have heard other members burning them without issues in other stoves. So stove does play into the equation.

I think a hot burner like a Quad will melt ash and cause clinkers. My stove is more like a blast furnace than a stove.
The fire is no bigger than my 2 hands cupped, fire never leaves the burn pot much, but will heat my house at -12 F and wind blowing like the other day.

slls said:
I think a hot burner like a Quad will melt ash and cause clinkers. My stove is more like a blast furnace than a stove.
The fire is no bigger than my 2 hands cupped, fire never leaves the burn pot much, but will heat my house at -12 F and wind blowing like the other day.

Didn't mean to hijack this topic, but if i can reply.

Slls, I have to agree with your point of the burn pot being a blast furnace of sorts, but...in my sixth year burning this black box, I find some pellets are sooooo much more Quad friendly than others.

Back to the OP's question on energex pellets, no, $265 is IMHO too much for energex and I'd go with the stove chow.

despalmy said:
slls said:

Didn't mean to hijack this topic, but if i can reply.

Slls, I have to agree with your point of the burn pot being a blast furnace of sorts, but...in my sixth year burning this black box, I find some pellets are sooooo much more Quad friendly than others.

Back to the OP's question on energex pellets, no, $265 is IMHO too much for energex and I'd go with the stove chow.

Or it could be the air flow, Seems the stoves with abundant air have less issues. But not all. A friend with a Breckwell P23 is complaining of clinkers with Hamers. He used Turmans last season and no issues, I am saving my Turmans for the Hamer trade off. If he gets his lazy arse down hear. :)

The common thing I see is density of said pellets that clinker, Be it in a Quad or other stoves. More air helps but a stove that has feed trim to reduce the amount of pellets per auger dump is also a tool to be used, New fuel smothers the unburned fuel. Key is a fire that fluctuates some. A solid steady burn looks pretty but? Try to be sure the fuel is burning all the way. Fire might need to dwindle before the next fuel charge?

Hate to say it but some stoves are just plain pellet picky and some tolerate them better!

My MT Vernon AE is doing great with both the Energex Canada and the Hammers.
A friend is having nothing but trouble with Hammers clinkers.
I belive he has a Harmon bottom feeder.

I've burned Energex (canadian) for two years. Had one to carry over this year, bought 4 more tons. Good heat, but would get that darn bird's nest in my burn pot by day 3. Would be the size of a doughnut. This past fall I tried MWP. Liked them so much, I bought two more tons. (burning 5 tons yearly). I liked the MWP so much more. much less ash and no buildup in the burn pot. I tried a few more bags of the Energex after I put in the OAK. By day three, I was getting clumping. Went back into my MWP. No more clumping. Good heat from both, but less mess with the MWP. I paid $199 for my MWP delivered right into my garage. No telling what next year will bring, but I'll be going for the MWP if I can continue to get them competitively. Local pellet sold by small business man.

Have to get 2 bags MWP to see how good they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.