"Energy Brick" by Sebring Forest Industries, Inc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
Has anybody heard of this mfgr'ed firelog? It appears to be like from the 1950s that my friend just gave to me. It is called "energy Brick" by the aforementioned company from Sebring, Ohio. It is a coal log, says 65k BTU, 5 hour burn time and it says for fireplace or wood stove. Looks interesting, I don't think I'll burn it in my stove but I do have a regular mason/stone fireplace.... But I could save it for nostalgia cause it looks like 50 years old. It is encased in paper that you're supposed to poke a hole through and then burn, just like your basic Duraflame type log...

Has anybody heard of these guys? It is black like coal!

Jay

Can't find too much about Sterling, but I did find this patent that sounds like them:
Fuel block
Document Type and Number: United States Patent 5112365
Link to this Page: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5112365.html
Abstract: An improved fuel block of compressed combustible particles and a binder has a controlled burn rate preferably for use adjacent citrus fruit trees to prevent frost damage. The fuel block preferably has a cylindrical body and is formed with a longitudinally extending series of individual spaced depressions in the side surface of the body. The side surface of the fuel body is tightly wrapped with a combustible paper which forms air pockets with the side surface of the spaced depressions. These air pockets in combination with the paper, provide a series of alternating fast and slow burn layers which enable the body to burn in progressive layers instead of burning the entire body at the same time. An outer protective plastic wrapper protects the fuel body and wrapper paper from the weather until ready for use. A central hole is formed through the fuel body to assist in the initial lighting of the top surface of the body.

I remember a fireplace fuel product similar to your description that was marketed in big box stores some years ago, then disappeared. That particular product was individually wrapped cubes of cannel coal, which as I understand is a substance found around coal deposits, with a composition somewhere between peat and coal. The cannel coal cube inside the cardboard wrapper was compressed to an impressive hardness, and burned with particularly bright "white" flames. As I recall, there was a precaution printed on the wrapper advising NOT to burn it in an airtight stove.

I think this is something different than wrapped cubes of cannel coal. The labelling on the paper label specifically says for use in "free standing wood stoves and fireplace inserts"

The only info I've found on Sebring Industries is a lawsuit from the mid 1970s and some other tidbits of data in and around Sebring, Ohio.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.