Energy independence, what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Shifting from a fossil fuel economy to a more sustainable and independent one on an individual basis is major challenge. To do it on a national level is a daunting task. Here is a thoughtful essay on one person's approach on how to get there. It's a long, but worthy read for all concerned.

http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/11/27/0432/3533

Very interesting analysis. I look forward to re-reading, and re-reading, and re-reading this.

I think I wouldn't mind using a PHV if I didn't have to pay the 17cent/kw to charge it. I commute 27 miles one way, and if I could plug it in at work, it would save alot of fossil fuel for me!! Maybe this could be coupled with a passive solar/rectifier set up and negate those costs. :cheese:

Those that can, should bike to work, I can assume most people here heat with a wood stove, my gas boiler is off and my sole form of heat is wood. I'm currently looking to wean myself off my gas hot water heater if the NJ Solar water rebates ever come around and I am a year round bike commuter. I do drive though and I really don't consider myself an environmentalist but in addition to being green, it is cheaper from a financial standpoint to simply conserve. I have to drive to go kayaking or take trips to the Adirondacks and the White mtns to hike. But I do bike to work a bit and I try to bike to run errands when possible...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.