Energy king 480

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikedosow

Feb 28, 2015
Ma
I have an energy king 480 ek.
I typically Burnwood most of the time but now I am out of wood and burning coal. The problem that I'm having is that I only get about two days of burn out of it and then slowly start to lose it. I have the thermostat set up so the auto draft works but the house stays too warm so I have the manual draft open a crack and that seem to help it stay going better I shake it down and it goes good for two days then I slowly start to lose it I believe I am not getting all of the ash out. And it's choking itself out not sure if I'm supposed to disturb the calls with a rod to try to get the stuff out of itor what I'm doing wrong obviously something I am not doing or correct. Anybody else use the stove with Coal and have any ideas

Not sure how many experienced coal burners hang out here. I have burned a lil bit but not enough to pick out exactly what is going on there, it sounds OK to me so...
Not to run ya off from hearth, but if nobody can offer help here, try nepacrossroads. It's a coal burner forum, they will fix ya right up!

Not sure how many experienced coal burners hang out here. I have burned a lil bit but not enough to pick out exactly what is going on there, it sounds OK to me so...
Not to run ya off from hearth, but if nobody can offer help here, try nepacrossroads. It's a coal burner forum, they will fix ya right up!

I shake it down and it goes good for two days then I slowly start to lose it I believe I am not getting all of the ash out. And it's choking itself out not sure if I'm supposed to disturb the calls with a rod to try to get the stuff out of itor what I'm doing wrong obviously something I am not doing or correct.
How often are you shaking? More shaking would be my only suggestion (more often) or try poking the coal pile if shaking doesn't work. The air has to come from under the fire, is that how your furnace is set up when you have the manual draft open? If not that very well may be the issue, coal doesn't burn well with air over the coal. Also, when you add coal, what is your procedure? And again, how often?

How often are you shaking? More shaking would be my only suggestion (more often) or try poking the coal pile if shaking doesn't work. The air has to come from under the fire, is that how your furnace is set up when you have the manual draft open? If not that very well may be the issue, coal doesn't burn well with air over the coal. Also, when you add coal, what is your procedure? And again, how often?

I'm fueling about every 12 hrs and shaking the same I know it takes time to learn coal. My furnace is make to burn coal both auto draft and manual draft feed Steve threw ash door so definitely supplying correctly I usually burn wood and does a great job just need to go to school on this coal. The auto draft does come on much do to the fact the house is so warm so I use the manual I was thinking the coal wasn't getting enough air

If you google nepacrossroads and energy king together it will bring up a list of threads from the site dealing with energy king products. There are several that seem to be along the lines of your question, specifically one by user name TimV. You can use their search engine without being a member too, some sites won't let you do that. Sounds like there are a number of happy EK owners over there that are burning coal

Status
Not open for further replies.