Energy Saving and Best Clothes Washers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the HE4 model and noticed the lower water usage right away as the on demand water softner uses about 3/4 of what it used to use. It seems to work very well.

As for the stands we skipped them as they (Sears) are very proud of them, $400 for the stands. I find it not an issue nor does the wife to load and unload them.

As for the circuit boards we always unplug ours after use. Plug is right there and it is hard to surge it if it is not plugged in. We also do not use them when storming outside. Call me crazy I guess but they were expensive also it does not work well to hang out clothes when it is raining :lol:

I have to put my .02 in here, since I don't want anyone else to get burned like we did.

When we moved out from the city five years ago, we decided to replace our old washer and dryer. Since we were going to a house with a septic system and well, I wanted to minimize our water usage. We went with a "Calypso" model from Sears. That thing was complete junk!

The washer would build up with this gunk that was basically un-disolved detergent and lint. I literally had to take the machine apart and wash and scrape all that gunk out. It would also stain our cloths with grey stains that would not come out.

Sears conveniently kept telling me that it must be either the type or amount of detergent that we were using. They strung me out until the warranty was up and there was nothing more they would do. The problem was so wide spread that there was a class action lawsuite filed against them for these units. Unfortunately, I never paid for a service call (that's what I get for saving money and doing things for myself) and missed the filing date, so I was just out of luck.

Ended up replacing it with a conventional, top loading Maytag that works great!

I would not recommend the Sears Calypso design to anyone. They may have made improvements since our experience, but once bitten...

Status
Not open for further replies.