Energy Saving Resolutions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
What are your Resolutions? My first one, adapted from Grist.org suggestions Grist Resolutions , is to "bathe with the ones I love [better yet, want to love!]." I already have tried road-kill, quite tasty; also nearly all clothes now are second hand and my annual clothes spending is less than $250; and I have tried *hitting in a bucket -- works, but need to refrain from knocking it over.

What are your Resolutions?

Ride a bike to work and install solar PV (the 2nd more about generation than savings).
It takes me too long to ride to work now, about 45 min., so I'm building an electric-assist bike to make the trip quicker. I still would pedal just not as much.
Got this bike sans some parts on CL, been working on it over the holidays.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...ls?url=us/en/bikes/2009/archive/fisher/kaitai
I'm planning to add this motor and a battery pack.
http://turbobobbicycleblog.wordpres...ng-8fun-mid-drive-motor-lectric-cycles-style/

The PV may take a little longer but I'm shooting for this year. May have to take a 2nd mortgage out but the numbers work out even with some interest paid.

Edit: RE "bathe with the ones I love [better yet, want to love!].
I'm grateful that eyesight (also) goes with age when sharing a tub... mostly for my wife's sake.

I'm lousy at resolutions so I resolved many years ago to stop making them.

Reactions: seige101
I wanted to make resolutions I could keep:
1.) Drink more beer.
2.) Do more fishing
3.) Give even less of a crap of what others think.
;lol;lol;lol

ETA - all of these do take energy on my part.;)

I get the no resolution resolution. But a resolution usually is no more than a wish or dream, and those are not fulfilled unless they are turned into a Plan. For me an effective Plan is personal, positive, present tense and with a timeline (courtesy of Brian Tracy, "Goals").

Example: My wife loves music, especially rock, and she has an age in years that some would consider old but a mentality, drive and spirit that puts her into her late 20's. In the past I have resolved to help her better fulfill her love of rock music, my dream or wish, but little happened. So this year, my Resolution became a Plan -- During 2015 (timeline) my wife and I together (personal) are enjoying (present) 3 music events (positive). And because we enjoy doing things like this with our 3 adult children and because all of them love music as well, my birthday gift to her was taking her to these events, each with a separate adult child, which the child would pick and schedule (all at my cost, of course). This assures the Plan will be implemented, in part because the child will want a night out at Dad's expense, and in part because we all want to go out together.

but have you been able to keep at it?
Yes! I've gotten so good that the thought doesn't even cross my mind anymore. I still have goals and plans. But they have become more relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.