Energy Star and Econoburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shagy

Jun 18, 2009
N NY
Did anyone out there buy a Econoburn believing they were Energy Star compliant ? From June 08 to July 09 they had the Energy Star logo on their brochures and still today they have dealers that have it on their web sites. I did.........

Econoburn Boilers did have the Energy Star Certification, buy due to a court decision, the Energy Star designation was removed after a competitor complained after they could not meet the requirements of the testing due to their inability to be tested and pass the test. A court decision was made to have the Energy Star label removed. Must be that the other company thought that Econoburn would have had an unfair sales advantage. Yup, it would have.. having the only wood boiler on the market that qualified for the Energy Star Label sure looks good on your resume! The Econoburn boiler didn't change, only the advertising literature. It still meets all the requirements for Energy Star, just can't or won't use it in the advertising.

Altheating...Who on earth told you that? When was this court ruling ? You previously stated it was dropped voluntarily because other company's complained that they could not make the standard that Econoburn set.

No kick on Econoburn, but Energy Star certification is in the news recently as having some major issues. Here is an article http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10470.pdf that goes in detail. Bascially, the government trusts companies to self ceritify that their equipment meets the standards with no independent testing. The gas powerd alarm clock is quite an eye opener.

Another failed government program. I trusted the energy star label in replacing all my appliances and now the label is just a sticker in some cases. After 28 years of working for the government it's really no surprise. Hopefully they get it back in line so people can use that certification as a guideline in buying all sorts of home appliances and devices, not just our gassers. I recently purchased a Bosch dishwasher and it was certified, but they explained why it was a certified unit so I am confident I got an energy efficient unit.

when we approached Energy Star we were told by Energy Star "Energy Star does not certify solid fuel appliances". Period.

I've poked around their website a bit and I can't find any place where they explicitly exclude solid fuel appliances, but all of the descriptions of the boiler program are clearly aimed at fossil fuel boilers and there is not one solid fuel boiler shown on the 20+ page list of certified boilers.

What is very confusing for some is the $1500.00 tax credit is through the Energy Star program for biomass (wood). BUT there is no BIOMASS appliances that are Energy Star RATED. and NEVER HAVE BEEN. There is no testing method for AFUE available on wood burning devices. I guess we will have to wait for Altheating to explain to us not so smart people....Hope he can

EricV said:
Another failed government program. I trusted the energy star label in replacing all my appliances and now the label is just a sticker in some cases. After 28 years of working for the government it's really no surprise. Hopefully they get it back in line so people can use that certification as a guideline in buying all sorts of home appliances and devices, not just our gassers. I recently purchased a Bosch dishwasher and it was certified, but they explained why it was a certified unit so I am confident I got an energy efficient unit.
AMEN

altheating said:
Econoburn Boilers did have the Energy Star Certification, buy due to a court decision, the Energy Star designation was removed after a competitor complained after they could not meet the requirements of the testing due to their inability to be tested and pass the test. A court decision was made to have the Energy Star label removed. Must be that the other company thought that Econoburn would have had an unfair sales advantage. Yup, it would have.. having the only wood boiler on the market that qualified for the Energy Star Label sure looks good on your resume! The Econoburn boiler didn't change, only the advertising literature. It still meets all the requirements for Energy Star, just can't or won't use it in the advertising.
Was hoping you would reply with where you received this info and when it took place. I do not believe you are telling the true story.Help us out.......

No Solid Fuel device can possibly qualify for Energy Star. To qualify the product must have it's AFUE tested using ASHRAE Standard 103 ... which clearly states that it only applies to gas, oil and electric appliances. There is no approved test method in place for a Solid Fuel device to use to determine its AFUE.

The $1,500 tax credit was not based on AFUE for Bio-mass but rather on the Lower Heating Value Efficiency. It was understood (but not explcitly stated) that the Efficiency (LHV) was to be measured using an approved method ... which would be either EPA method 28 or by the ASTM cordwood method.

Here are the websites that explain the tax credit:

http://www.hpba.org/government-affairs/major-projects/2009-tax-credit

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-09-53.pdf

Bill ... do not think you get it... (AFB) CLAIMED Energy Star compliance for a yr after they were told to stop. They never were quilified.This meens they had no right to display the Energy Star logo whitch they did. This is not what Econoburn dealers are saying to potential costumers.As the dealer for stated above " they did have certifaction and it isnice to have that in their resume"
You are correct on your statement though.The $1500.00 credit has nothing to do with carrying the Energy star logo. Two seperate things here

This is a little confusing. Can the $1500 credit be used or not for an econoburn? I did purchase but was informed by both econoburn and the distruvtor that the credit applies. Was this a lie? If so are ther any wood boilers that qualify. Thanks

heat4steve said:
This is a little confusing. Can the $1500 credit be used or not for an econoburn? I did purchase but was informed by both econoburn and the distributor that the credit applies. Was this a lie? If so are ther any wood boilers that qualify. Thanks
Yes you do qualify for the tax credit . The tax credit and being Energy Star qualified is two different things. To be qualified means they could show the Energy Star logo. They did show the logo letting the consumer believe they were qualified. There are people out in the world that bought a Econoburn on this basis over lets say a BioHeat or maybe a EKO.

Someone get him a gas-powered grinder so he get this axe-grinding done with , , ,

So what ya are saying is it ok to false advertise? I only invested $30,000 in this product...What the heck its only money!! I guess I should have invested in a EKO or a BioHeat BUT no I tend to believe in people. You know from the old school. So people lets be eviro friendly and just use a good ol wet stone to sharpen my ax .

Wow!!! 30K!!! Darn can't I buy 2 Garn 2000's for that much $$$$ or 1 garn 3200? Holy smokes how many square feet do you heat? Has to be alot, even more than I am planning on & my wife will happily tell you that she thinks I am certifiable (you know loony tunes). Did you buy the Econoburn 500 or the 1000? Either way that is one massive boiler. Good luck rolling it downstairs into your basement. Maybe forget the friends for the move (install) & call a pro moving co that has exp with something that heavy.

Dear Friends,

shagy is a commercial member who apparently sells other models and his web site dumps on his competitors.

There is more involved here than his simple question - sorry!

I am therefore closing the thread, as commercial members dumping on products is against our Forum guidelines.......

Webmaster said:
Dear Friends,

shagy is a commercial member who apparently sells other models and his web site dumps on his competitors.

There is more involved here than his simple question - sorry!

I am therefore closing the thread, as commercial members dumping on products is against our Forum guidelines.......
He is coorect I am a Econoburn dealer. Unhappy of the fact I was taken. The letter from the EPA was the proof. I will stop posting on this

Status
Not open for further replies.