1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Energy Star Dehumidifiers

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Wet1, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Good point DBoon,

Like yourself, I assumed smaller units would be more efficient. I thought I could get away with a 40 pint unit and initially searched for units in this class to conserve a little energy. After doing some reading, as you mentioned, the larger units generally remove more moisture with a given amount of power. With that knowledge in hand, I ended up going with the Soleus Air DP1-70, which is the 70 pint unit in my initial post. The energy star site (I think it was that site anyway) had a listing of models and their efficiency, it does suggest bigger generally equals more efficient. The larger units do consume more power while operating, but they more than makes up for it by removing even more moisture while doing so.

So far I'm very happy with the DH I purchased. It does make a little noise (fan noise mostly), but it can't be heard upstairs and it's not really bothersome downstairs. I'm glad I bought the larger unit. Given the amount of time my 70 pint unit is working, I don't think the 40 pint unit I initial was interested in would have done the job. Feeding the DH directing in the Little Giant condensate pump has been working excellent as well... it beats the hell out of emptying the DH every day like I was doing last year.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
  3. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Good Topic, little late getting here. Great tip on the bigger units being more efficient. I would have never picked that up.

I'll throw a kill-a-watt on mine tonight and let you guys know how much power it uses in a few days.

I had a finished basement in the old house (same climate). My dehumidifier basically ran 5-6 months a year. There was no need to run it Oct-April.

In the new house I actually plumbed sewer drain lines for the dehumidifier and then did the washing machine hose thing. They are care free and no electric pump!

A little off topic: I was getting water in the basement in my brand new house. I had run gutters around the house, but the downspouts were just going onto the ground. I installed a collection system for the downspouts that ran about 50' away from the house, daylighted out a bank nearby. We have had absolutely massive rains since I did that and no more water in the basement.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    The gutter thing is so important and easy to over look. A lot of square footage of rain dumped in one spot. Sometimes better off without gutters, if the spouts aren't drained away from the building properly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.