Energy top-up from Vermont Castings Accaim wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magicare

I have an unpressurized 1000 gallon storage tank that I use for radiant in floor. http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=648
The system is primarily used to keep the house temperature above freezing whilst vacant.
The system works very well but, while we are at the property, the cost of using the electric boiler alone to heat the tank and thus the house is fairly substantial.
I have a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim wood stove which can maintain a temperature differential (outside to inside) of 50°C but, unless I get up and refuel it in the middle of the night, it burns out and the radiant in floor system kicks in to maintain the temperature.
I want to install a coil on the wood stove smoke pipe (chimney connector) or stove back to top up the energy in the tank while the stove is burning to remove the necessity of the electric boiler kicking in to heat the tank for the early morning period.
When the stove is running the chimney exit temperature is around 190°C so I should be able to remove a lot of heat before creosote buildup becomes an issue.
I presently have a 6" double wall smoke pipe (chimney connector) running vertically from the flue collar. I intend to replace this with a section of 6" stainless tube around which I will coil 1/2" copper tubing, this I will sheath in a second layer of 22 ga stainless. The saturation temperature within the cavity of the existing smoke pipe (chimney connector) is around 300°C.
I intend to use a small spa pool circulator to draw water from the storage tank pump it through the tube around the smoke pipe (chimney connector) and return it to the tank. As the circulation pipe will be open ended in the tank a PTRV should not be required ??
Anyone have any guesses as to whether what length of 1/2" tubing would be ideal for wrapping around the smoke pipe (chimney connector) with a water flow rate of 12 liters (3 Gallons US) / minute to achieve a temperature rise of around 10°C

Status
Not open for further replies.