Engalnder Squeaky Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
So within the first 2 days of owning the Englander 13-NC, the door handle started making this ridiculous loud squeak from the door handle. Squeak may be too nice of a work for it. This is quite a loud noise while turning the handle.

Now obviously... I can't put oil on it, ha. But is there any solution for this? Had the handle made this noise at the store I probably would have not bought the stove, it's that loud.

Thanks

It is annoying at least and disappointing. My suggestions follow. If you have any try some powdered graphite, liquid graphite or just a small drop of "Lock Ease" when cold.

Can you easily take it off to polish the inner surfaces?

Let us know. Good luck.

I'm curious, why can't you put oil on it? Obviously not so obvious.

LLigetfa said:
I'm curious, why can't you put oil on it? Obviously not so obvious.

I don't know, I just made the assumption that a flammable fuel would be a bad thing to put on a metal that can reach 600-800 degrees?

Valhalla said:
It is annoying at least and disappointing. My suggestions follow. If you have any try some powdered graphite, liquid graphite or just a small drop of "Lock Ease" when cold.

Can you easily take it off to polish the inner surfaces?

Let us know. Good luck.

Graphite sounds like a good thing to try, thanks

Yeah one of those needle type graphite injectors that is used for car door locks will do the trick. While you are at it pull the door hinge pins and treat them too to prolong the life of the hinges. Since the handle is welded the needle won't fit into the shaft hole. What ya do is put a little at a time on the shaft and then work the shaft in and out a few times. There should be enough fore and aft play to slide the shaft back and forth pulling the graphite into the hole in the door.

I've used oil with teflon on my hinges and latch about twice a year for the last fifteen years and never once had my stove burst into flames. Just a drop will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.