england 25-pdv 55-shp22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblarsen

Feb 8, 2014
nepa
Bought used stove cannot seem to get flame adjusted. Burns high no matter what setting it is on. Glass stays clean for most part, ash in pan is dark and clumps and needs to be cleaned everyday. Tried to call tech support but was on hold to long and had to hang up. Any pointers greatly appreciated. We burn new England pellets.

Welcome. A little more info, about the way your stove is set up would be very helpful. Such as length of exhaust pipe. Is the OAK, hooked up. Also heat range and blower range numbers,and the settings for the three bottom buttons, and last cleaning.

Welcome. A little more info, about the way your stove is set up would be very helpful. Such as length of exhaust pipe. Is the OAK, hooked up. Also heat range and blower range numbers,and the settings for the three bottom buttons, and last cleaning.
Add to that size of the exhaust and if you have it hooked to a thermostat or not.

Not hooked to thermostat, 3 inch pipe, oak? Outside air kit? Yes we have an external intake connected. We run both buttons at the same if one is on three, the other is on three, bottom three buttons are now at 4. 6. 1. 45 out of stove two foot thru wall to a t then up one ft to a 90 bend then to the cap probably 4 foot total with elbows and connectors.

Last edited:
Not hooked to thermostat, 3 inch pipe, oak? Outside air kit? Yes we have an external intake connected. We run both buttons at the same if one is on three, the other is on three, bottom three buttons are now at 4. 6. 1. 45 out of stove two foot thru wall to a t then up one ft to a 90 bend then to the cap probably 4 foot total with elbows and connectors.
Two things that jump out based on your response... I believe Englander recommends (requires?) a 3 foot vertical rise, so that might be part of it. The other would be the bottom three buttons. I run mine at 4-3-1 and mine is on a thermostat. I believe 6-4-1 is the factory default. Have you checked your burn mode? Search the forums for the directions. I have to put the kids to bed, otherwise I'd try to lay it out for you. That said, I believe "D" is the default there, also.

Eric

Here's a copy of the manual in case you don't have one... http://englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-PDVEand25-PDV.pdf Hopefully you have a CO detector and surge protection...

Do you have the gaskets to perform the annual cleaning routine (burn pot assembly, combustion blower)? Pulled out rear baffle, cleaned convection blower? Should do a complete clean as the previous owner likely did not...

Welcome to the forum and we like pics:)

Here's a copy of the manual in case you don't have one... http://englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-PDVEand25-PDV.pdf Hopefully you have a CO detector and surge protection...

Do you have the gaskets to perform the annual cleaning routine (burn pot assembly, combustion blower)? Pulled out rear baffle, cleaned convection blower? Should do a complete clean as the previous owner likely did not...

Thanks for the manual. We are thinking of replacing gaskets next. Changed bottom three buttons to 6 4 1 going to see how it burns today, also adding a 2 ft piece to the horizontal pipe outside

Bought used stove cannot seem to get flame adjusted. Burns high no matter what setting it is on. Glass stays clean for most part, ash in pan is dark and clumps and needs to be cleaned everyday. Tried to call tech support but was on hold to long and had to hang up. Any pointers greatly appreciated. We burn new England pellets.
It is possible that the control board is in the wrong mode. Here are instructions on how to reset the control board and set the burn mode.
Perform a control board reset as follows .....

Do this when the stove is cold.

Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

Press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 2 seconds and then release the buttons, after a few seconds you should see F5 in the two digital readouts.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 in the digital readouts to go blank, unplug the power as soon as the display goes blank and wait 5 - 10 seconds.

Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and release, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds.

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6-4-1 from left to right.
(Note: Some 25 PDV stoves settings for the lower 3 buttons are 4-6-1, 5-4-1.)

Another possibility; there is a choke plate at the bottom of the hopper that restricts pellet feed rate. This may be open too far. Make a pencil mark before you move this so that you can get it back to where it was if you need to.

It is possible that the control board is in the wrong mode. .

Yes, if there is no jumper on the back of the control board where the T-Stat wire goes, then it will not run right. :)

Yes, if there is no jumper on the back of the control board where the T-Stat wire goes, then it will not run right. :)
Without the jumper the stove will only burn in low mode. The OP is complaining that the stove is always burning high.

The stove needs to be reset to 'c' mode. I also think the procedure to set the mode is a little different on the PDV stove (need to check this out myself).

I may not have this right but I think the first # on the lower numbers controls feed on settings 1 & 2. That 6 may be too high.... too much fuel will leave you with a big flame.

Upper numbers - can run convection fan at a higher rate than the feed. Helps pull heat away quicker and gets it into the room.

It is possible that the control board is in the wrong mode. Here are instructions on how to reset the control board and set the burn mode.

Another possibility; there is a choke plate at the bottom of the hopper that restricts pellet feed rate. This may be open too far. Make a pencil mark before you move this so that you can get it back to where it was if you need to.
When stove was empty, we did notice that the plate appeared to be wide open. Where should it be?

I thought c mode made it burn hotter? We checked it and the burn mode is set to D

To quote Mike from ESW:

"the PDV unit CAN handle the C mode, its fine to do so, will not burn as clean nor as efficient but she will run hotter in that mode. the units "overfire protection" will prevent any damage to the unit is it does get rambunctious in the C mode though in a well maintained PROPERLY CLEANED unit this should not be a factor"

I also think I read somewhere that the bottom three buttons only control settings on 1 or 2 except on newer stoves, stove was made in 08, is that considered "newer"?

To quote Mike from ESW:

"the PDV unit CAN handle the C mode, its fine to do so, will not burn as clean nor as efficient but she will run hotter in that mode. the units "overfire protection" will prevent any damage to the unit is it does get rambunctious in the C mode though in a well maintained PROPERLY CLEANED unit this should not be a factor"
Scares me though only because the flame is already large and out of control even on three.

Yeah. Leave it like it is. And scraping the burn pot once a day is normal maintenance. On one or two is the flame going high and then dieing back down and then repeating?

Yeah. Leave it like it is. And scraping the burn post once a day is normal maintenance. On one or two is the flame going high and then dieing back down and then repeating?[/q
It stayed large, we just turned it down again to two, I think we have made so many changes recently we aren't even sure what it's doing now, lol. I'll answer this question in a few minutes after we observe it turned down some.

Last edited:
1391991637793.jpg

The stove needs to be reset to 'c' mode. I also think the procedure to set the mode is a little different on the PDV stove (need to check this out myself).
The PDV and PDVC share the same control board and the same software. Their controls differ only in the burn mode selected.

To quote Mike from ESW:
I'm of a much more conservative mind. After designing mission critical, life support and medical devices for over 40 years, and dealing with failure modes and failure consequences, I would never allow a safety limit switch to govern operation. The overfire protection should be a backup to the correct operation of the stove. Otherwise when it fails there is nothing to stop a potentially dangerous situation.
I would go a step further. The cheap snap switches that are used for overfire protection on virtually all stoves are unreliable and cannot be trusted. Just my considered opinion

Last edited:
The quote was to demonstrate that "c" mode isn't the standard mode for the PDV.

Status
Not open for further replies.