England PAH Stove went out this morning on its own

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
Hi there, newbie with a question. This was only our 3rd night running our stove. Last night was the first night in several weeks. I set it to 1 & 2 (heat & blower) before I went to bed. It ran all night long no problem but around 8:30 this a.m it shut down on its own. No error code, just shut down. My dad says his stove will shut down on its own when on level 1. Is it not burning hot enough to keep burning or is there a problem? Figured we would come to you pellet masters for some of your wisdom.
Thanks

Any pellets in the hopper?? Any unburned pellets in the burnpot???

hossthehermit said:
Any pellets in the hopper?? Any unburned pellets in the burnpot???

Sorry should have included that info. Yes there are plenty of pellets in the hopper and yes unburned pellets in the burnpot. The augur was still feeding pellets down there was just no fire. The firebox was actually full of them, I dumped them back in the hopper when I cleaned out the stove this morning.

Not sure what king of stove you have, but it sounds like it could be a damper issue. If the stove is getting too much/too little air, the stove will go out.
It seems weird that the auger would still be feeding if the flame went out.

I have a mt vernon quadrafire same thing happens to mine when I leave it on low setting.I now tend to push the tempature setting as high as it goes and leave to stove on all night so it will not cycle on and off.My belief is when the stove turns off because it has hit the required temp there may be ash in the firepot which will harden as the stove cools when the pellets fall on this hardened ash the igniter cannot light the pellets thro the ash.I would like to know what other peoples thoughts are on this.

Sometimes on low the stove can burn through the pellets too quickly and it can eventually go out.
You can turn the feed rate up or experiment with different pellets.

I am in the process if seeing which pellets burn best on my low setting.
Somersets were great
Maine Woods were pretty good
Maines Choice looked like it may eventually go out. Adjusted the feed a bit and tjey burn great.

You should be able to correct this in one of 2 ways. Increase the feed rate or reduce the burn air.

I am not an Englander owner. But the lower buttons should be able to fix this.

briggsy13 said:
Hi there, newbie with a question. This was only our 3rd night running our stove. Last night was the first night in several weeks. I set it to 1 & 2 (heat & blower) before I went to bed. It ran all night long no problem but around 8:30 this a.m it shut down on its own. No error code, just shut down. My dad says his stove will shut down on its own when on level 1. Is it not burning hot enough to keep burning or is there a problem? Figured we would come to you pellet masters for some of your wisdom.
Thanks

probly needs the lower three buttons adjusted.
do a search or wait for an englander pro to chime in.

edit: jay beat me to it(second time this week)

smoke show said:
briggsy13 said:
Thanks

Slow poke! ;-)

j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
briggsy13 said:
Thanks

Slow poke! ;-)

I use the hunt and peck approach to typing.

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
briggsy13 said:
Thanks

Slow poke! ;-)

I use the hunt and peck approach to typing.

:lol:

Glad I don't have one of those things, by reading all the threads on here, sounds like they are nothing but a big headache and money pit!

NATE379 said:
Glad I don't have one of those things, by reading all the threads on here, sounds like they are nothing but a big headache and money pit!

Not so! I have spent more fixing my chainsaw than what I have had to put into my stoves over the years.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Besides putting the flame out is it bad to have too much air?

Too much draft air decreases the stoves efficiency. The biggest factor I would worry about anyway. Sending my BTU's up and out the flue! You have to expel some but try not to over do it! Under do it and you have a filthy stove!

j-takeman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Besides putting the flame out is it bad to have too much air?

Too much draft air decreases the stoves efficiency. The biggest factor I would worry about anyway. Sending my BTU's up and out the flue! You have to expel some but try not to over do it! Under do it and you have a filthy stove!

Makes perfect sense...thanks!

Most stoves will burn out on the lowest setting from time to time.

No big deal.

If it stayed going for as long as it did I would say everything is probably adjusted as it should be. One thing that reduces the likelihood of it burning out is to have the convection blower on the lowest setting if you have the feed rate on the lowest setting.

"Stove went out this morning on its own"...

My ex-girfriend used to do the same...

To the OP,

Could you elaborate on what you meant when you said the stove shut down.

What if anything was still operating on the stove?

briggsy13 said:
Sorry should have included that info. Yes there are plenty of pellets in the hopper and yes unburned pellets in the burnpot. The augur was still feeding pellets down there was just no fire. The firebox was actually full of them, I dumped them back in the hopper when I cleaned out the stove this morning.

2 things. Careful when dumping the pellets back into the hopper. Better to let them site for a good while before dumping back in. Im sure others might know why.

2nd if the auger was still droping pellets with no fire there could be other issues you need to look into. POF with a cold stove should be open. If the POF is stuck closed you find the stove will still think its running when it goes out. Filling inside the stove with pellets from the hopper. It will just stay running when it runs out of fuel too!

SmokeyTheBear said:
To the OP,

Sure, I was sitting in the living room enjoying my coffee when I heard the blower get quieter. My first thought was one of the little ones messed with it. When I looked at it there was no flame, but I could still hear pellets dropping. I can't remember what the readout was when I first looked at it, I'm guessing the 1 & 2 it was set on. Then when I looked again it was Sd. Then it just shut down like it had been turned off.

j-takeman said:
briggsy13 said:

2 things. Careful when dumping the pellets back into the hopper. Better to let them site for a good while before dumping back in. Im sure others might know why.

2nd if the auger was still droping pellets with no fire there could be other issues you need to look into. POF with a cold stove should be open. If the POF is stuck closed you find the stove will still think its running when it goes out. Filling inside the stove with pellets from the hopper. It will just stay running when it runs out of fuel too!

Thanks, it had been about 4 hours since it went out when I cleaned it out, so I would imagine it was completely cooled. I'm guessing that is what you were getting at?

And this maybe a stupid question but what is a POF? Sorry

briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
To the OP,

Sure, I was sitting in the living room enjoying my coffee when I heard the blower get quieter. My first thought was one of the little ones messed with it. When I looked at it there was no flame, but I could still hear pellets dropping. I can't remember what the readout was when I first looked at it, I'm guessing the 1 & 2 it was set on. Then when I looked again it was Sd. Then it just shut down like it had been turned off.

At this point nothing was operating on the stove, both the convection and combustion fans were off, and the auger had stopped, correct or not ??

briggsy13 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
To the OP,

My stove did the exact same thing once....I was pretty much staring at it burn on low since I had a feeling it was going to go out...Sure enough there was so little hot ash pellets started to pile up. My convection blower went from high, to low, to off. I figured we were in shut down mode(the combustion blower was still running) Then the flame sprang to life and the convection blower went on low again. I am assuming..yikes I know...that if the flame did not start up soon after the stove would have shut down.

I no longer use those pellets on low...my only option since I have no way to control my combustion air.

Status
Not open for further replies.