England Stove 25PDVC help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thechap

Jan 20, 2008
South Eastern Pennsylvania
I purchased a used England pellet stove 25PDVC to use in my garage. I lit it last night and all seemed fine. I filled the hopper with 40 lbs of quality pellets at around 8:00 PM. I set the heat range on 1 and blower speed on 3.

When I checked on it this morning around 9:00 AM I found the stove was turned off and the hopper all but empty. There was a large handful of unburned pellets in the burn pot.

I filled the hopper and relit the stove and it went into the start up mode. After the start up mode ended I turned the heat down to 1 and blower speed to 3. I watched the stove and it appeared to me to be burning too much pellets when on this low of a heat range. I pressed the on buttom and the stove went into the start up mode again. I tuned the heat range and blower speed down but the stove returned to the start up mode. I decided to turn off the stove.

Question is I know dang well this stove shouldn't have used a 40 lb bag of pellets in about 12 hours. Am I correct in that it is using too many pellets?

As for the small control panel after I sent the heat and blower ranges the lights on the control panel go off with the exception of the "On" light. Is this normal?

Any and all help with this stove would be appreciated. I also have the stove manual but nothing in it to help me out.

One other question. Where the heck is the spell check button?

Hi the panel lights go off when out of SU/SD mode that's normal.
What you want to check is the bottom 3 settings push each bottom buttons from left to right and look at control panel should read 6-4-1.
It may be set up to feed more pellets by them settings rather than factory settings of 6-4-1 on control panel?
How high was the flames after 15-20 minutes of running?

The blower up down buttons change the setting.
Hit the first left lower button and hit the up buttom on blower side til see 6.
Hit 2nd middle button hit up again on blower button til see 4.
Hit 3rd button then the up button again til see 1

May be a good idea to also check what mode it's in. Could be in C mode instead of D

Turn off stove, allow to cool
~Unplug it for a few
~Plug back in
~Immediately press and hold the up and down arrows for the blower, then release.
Can be a little tricky so may have to do it a few times until it shows for you, D should show on the display if not it needs to be changed to D

Last edited:
Reactions: zinger827
With the up and down arrow keys below what ever letter displays

pay attention to the orientation of the letters when changing modes. b and d modes are both lower case letters and can easily be confused.

some people have lined the hopper with HVAC foil tape to get the pellets to slide down to the auger. Mixed reviews on how effective it is, it's worked fine for me but i still do get about a handful of pellets hanging in the bottom of the hopper.

What mode was it on

I burnt the stove for about two hours. I still think it is burning to many pellets. It looks like the pellets are constantly being fed. I thought the delivery auger would pulsate as it fed the pellets. I attached a picture of the flames.

Attachments

• 20161028_191339_1477696895854_resized (1).jpg
    20161028_191339_1477696895854_resized (1).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 142
The bottom auger will constantly spin, the top one only turns every so often based on the heat setting. Let it keep burning, you should get over 18 hrs on a hopper at the level you're burning. Small pellets will feed significantly faster than longer ones. You could close down the restrictor plate at the bottom of the hopper to limit how much feeds out of the hopper.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
18 hrs. should be a snap. like Drew posted above, smaller pellets will burn faster.
Check the restrictor plate at the bottom of the hopper... if all of your pellets
are the same small size close it off a little... but if you do,
make sure you adjust if you change to a longer pellet...
I can get 20-24 hrs. in mine (in the garage).

Oh... the picture of the flame... is that all the time?
Mine gets like that, but then goes down to just a very little one,
then back up... that is how it supposed to work...

Dan

I burnt the stove for at least two hours and the flame stayed the same. What is a restrictor plate because I don't see anything at the bottom at the auger. Ir is this where the pellets lay and the air is blown up through?

Hi the restrictor plate is in the Pellet hopper at bottom where pellets feed into the top auger.
Remove all the pellets from hopper to adjust the plate.
If that adjustment don't slow down the fire you can also can try control board setting set to 4-4-1 that will slow down pellet feed a little bit.

Good morning gentlemen! I moved the restrictor plate in the hopper as far closed as I could and refired the stove. The auger is still feeding to many pellets. The flame is constantly roaring as I would call it. I let the stove burn for 3 1/2 hours and probably burned 20 pound of pellets. I am going to try the settings of 4-4-1 as was suggested. Is the number 1 the pellet feed amount? If so what is the lowest I can go? Anyone think I may have a faulty board. I looked on line in a couple of places and the board is a little over $200.00. I can buy a new stove for $800.00

Keep the help coming gentlemen. I appreciate it.

the 4-4-1 will only affect heat settings 1 and 2, 3-9 are unaffected by those numbers. the first is the pellet feed, second is air, third you never change, it has to do with the room air blower turning on at a certain temp. Not sure if the board is shot if this high feed is the only issue. Luckily I've never had a board issue, knock on wood.

When i turn the heat down to 1, I can't go lower than 4 on the pellet feed (the first of the three bottom numbers) or the fire will go out. I wouldn't buy a whole new stove if it's just the board. if the rest of the parts are very old and breaking, I'd consider it, but I personally would go board first.

DrewBoogie,

Thanks for the response. For some reason I couldn't get the stove to burn right. I went out and bought a new one. I have the stove in a two car garage which isn't 100% air tight. Does anyone know if the fresh air supply really needs to be hooked up? As for the old stove I save it for parts.

Yes Englander says it's mandatory and there are other positives to hooking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.