England Stove Works 10-cdv control board settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowacorn

Dec 4, 2010
southcentral Iowa
Husband went and bought this not yet 3 y/o stove, no luck with it yet. Grrrr! We are experienced wood stove people and bought this for our family/game room area...no games yet due to cold room! I went online with England and found the control panel diagnostic mode and we get all the right screens until the final one which reads nothing and should be '8' and '8'. We can't keep a fire going during startup now, but did originally but couldn't get the heat setting to change from '1'. Any thoughts? We may have to wait until Monday for tech support, but thought we would throw it out here as well. Thanks

Welcome to the forum iowegian.

I figure this may be a used unit, if so did you give it a good cleaning before attempting to use it?

Would you tell us about the vent system starting at the combustion blower and through to the terminating cap?

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who has that model, but I'm sure someone on here does, however I understand it was replaced by the 10-CPM unit and imacman here has one of those.

I just finished downloading the manual and will need a bit of time to go through it.

England Stove Works also will help you if you call their technical service number and the thread title you used may attract the head technical support person Mike Holton who is a member here.

Welcome Iowegian! Lots of helpful people here.

Since you're in Iowa, I'll assume you're burning corn, correct? That stove is mainly a corn burner, although it will burn pellets too.

Used stoves are that way for a reason....the former owners had problems too, usually of their own making.....did you take the stove apart and do a complete, top-to-bottom cleaning of EVERYTHING, including removing the blowers and cleaning them?

If the control panel Heat "up" arrow button doesn't raise the heat at all, there may be a control board problem. It should go from 1 ----> 9.....same for the blower buttons.

Also, the bottom three buttons need to be set for corn burning....I have no idea what their supposed to be set at, unless someone on the forum who has one shows up here.

For your info, the Englander Senior Tech, Mike Holton, is a regular here on the forum, and may see your thread and respond before Monday....you could also try sending him a PM. His forum name is "stoveguy2esw".

Hope this helps a little.

clean as a pin upon install.

venting system is the original setup that was purchased with the stove from the company. It's the thru the wall setup straight out the stove through the wall with the piece that tees and goes up approximately 4-5 feet with the 90 degree looking end over piece. We also have the fresh air setup installed per manual.

It burned originally last week but we shut it down since the stirrer was turning backwards and talked to the store owner where stove was purchased thought it needed a new motor. Placed the new motor and stirrer working good. We then fired it up today, but couldn't get it to stay fired up during start up.

Previously it stayed fired but couldn't get the heat setting higher than the '1' and blower was on '9' but could be changed.

Good news that someone responded. Look forward to hearing.

Do you know how the stove was being used before you got it in particular was the stove used on a thermostat?

There is a jumper that must be present if it is not used with a thermostat. The jumper is installed on the thermostat block. With the stove off, cold, and unplugged take a look at the bottom of the control box, the block is at the lower portion of the panel to the right of where the power cord enters the controls.

Former owner had this in his shop and replaced with a larger stove due to size of shop.

I had seen a post after doing a bing search that brought me here with a response for settings and followed the instructions that person had from tech supp.ort, but no success.

I'm afraid it's a control board replacement, but trying to be optimistic.

Yes, burning corn. I'm already considering going with a second wood stove. Corn stove seems cumbersome compared to wood stove.

Very simple...if the "Heat" up button doesn't do anything, then the board needs to be replaced. I had the same issue with my 10-cpm....I couldn't change one of the lower button settings.....press the button and nothing happened. Simply a bad button switch....Englander replaced the whole board (under warranty).

New board for that stove is around $218.

If previous owner didn't tell you about this, I'd be making a call to them....maybe their reason for selling the stove wasn't exactly what they said. Did they say that "everything worked" on the stove before you bought it?

ImacMan,
That's what I figured, replacing board. I'm sure there's no warranty on stove, especially since second owner. I had looked up the cost too on mfg. website.

Not sure what these stoves run new, but we will be into this one for $650 total. That's what we spent on our wood stove 3 winters ago plus another 600 in pipe.

Husband's in the doghouse on this deal. LOL.

Thanks for the help.

iowegian said:
Smokey,
What's the giggles...I'm out another $220 if I want to use this stove. LOL

No I wanted to know what the final diagnostic screen was about?

Also did the board actually exit diagnostic mode?

iowegian said:
Gotcha.

Not sure on if it actually exited diagnostic screen, how would one know this?

Ok stop right there...

If the diagnostic screen shows something other than what you are supposed to see, the diagnostic must be looking at a particular thing (for example a vacuum switch) if you know this is what that screen was looking at and the result wasn't what was expected then something is wrong with the part it is looking at.

Stay with me on this now ...

If the board is in diagnostic mode the controls aren't going to function as they normally would, if that is the case the stove ain't likely going to be able to fire.

So once again just for giggles what was the diagnostic screen about that didn't give the expected result and can you get back to it?

I'd talk to ESW on Monday and let them determine what is what.

It may or may not be the board.

Meanwhile just glower at hubby and complain about being cold. Just remember if the board turns out fine and it is something really stupid you best be good to him.

Sometimes getting these things going especially used ones can be a challenge. In the end though they can be just wonderful.

I've burned wood, coal , oil, and natural gas over the years. There is a learning curve for all solid fuel devices, especially if you are manually firing the units.

iowegian said:
Step 6 showed nothing when supposed to show the two '8's.

http://www.englanderstove.com/help/CornStove/diagnostic_mode05.html

We unplugged it and plugged back in after diagnostic mode completed.

We'll see what mfg tech support says monday.

I won't be cold because the game room is shutoff from rest of house and the fire is roaring in the woodstove.

thanks to all!

You're missing the point on being cold it is to agitate hubby for buying the stove.

Let us know what it turns out to be, that test was for the auger as well as the heat up button.

when you did "step 6" did the board go completely blank? or did it stay as it looks in "step 5"? asuming that the upper half of the "8" didnt appear in step 6 and seeing as the heat range will not advance up its likley that the up button on the touch pad is defective. you could try rebooting the control board by upplugging the stove replugging and pushing all 3 bottom buttons together, should display "FS" then revert to 1-1 then try to raise he heat range button but i doubt it works for you , i suspect a new control board will be the solution based on what ive read in this thread

thanks so much Mike! We will give it a try this am and if it doesn't work we will order a new control board tomorrow on company website. I will also ask for the CD/DVD for the stove as I assume it has more information than the manual does.

I'll post what we find out.

Cindy

Diagnostic check this am was even more different. step 2 was 1 and 9. step 3 was 1 and 8. step 4 wa 1 and 8. step 5 was 1 and 8. step 6 was 1 and 8.

With the attempt at your suggestion Mike of pushing all three buttons after unplug/plug in got 1 and 8.

Guessing just as well get the board ordered?

iowegian said:
With the attempt at your suggestion Mike of pushing all three buttons after unplug/plug in got 1 and 8.

Make sure that you push the bottom 3 buttons at the same time within 5 seconds after plugging the stove back in, or it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.