England Stove Works

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little D.

Nov 30, 2010
Ma
Hey Folks,

I purchased the 13nci on 1/31/10, love the insert, but... The blower that came with the insert AC-13BA worked for about 20 minutes. I contacted tech support and they sent me a new blower immediately. Fire #2 - Middle tube falling down; I loosened the screw and tried to move the tube and tightened screw but the tube continued to fall (I should have just bent the bracket but I figured this should be done right) so I contacted tech support and they sent me a new tube) Blower #2 worked for about ten fires and started to make metal on metal sounds so I contacted tech support (I even sent them a voice memo of the sound coming from the blower) and the tech said ""this doesn't happen, these are good blowers" do you still have the original blower? No, it didn't work, if you wanted it back you should have sent me a return postage label. Anyway, they sent me another blower (with a return postage label) I received it on Thursday and started using the new one today, for about an hour and then it was metal on metal again.

What good is an insert with no blower?

Has anyone had this problem? England tech support has been good, but the technicians attitude has started to change.

Starting to get fed up!

Little D

Just a thought but have you checked the electrical plug/line you have it connected too?

No, but if I pull the blower out and run it while it is face up the clanging noise stops; as soon as I position it as designed, the noise starts again.

Yea, I'd be putting the volt meter on there and make sure it's 120 volts at that plug and that you don't have something electrical going on like 14 ga wire w/ an overtaxed circuit on a 20amp breaker or fuse.

Also, did you try and run the blower w/ it removed from the insert? Does it still make the noise when it's just free running uninstalled?

pen

Yes, when I hold it in my hand and have it blowing towards the ceiling the sound stops, as I hold it to the side it starts again.

It sounds like the blower may be binding. This could be the cause of the premature failure. I would look for any spot where tolerances are so close that a little heat can change them. Or it could be a batch of motor bearings did not get proper lubrication. Englander doesn't make these motors so it could be a supplier problem. You might ask to speak with Mike Holton in tech support at Englander for a deeper investigation. Having the old motor should help them.

With the previous failed motor, If you take it off the stove, and spin the fan blades, does it spin freely?

Maybe they just got a bad batch of motors, which would be very frustrating for everyone.

Once we got a box of bad headlight bulbs at the shop. One car went through about 3 bulbs in a month before we quit using them out of that package.

Alan

Is that yes, they all spin freely with no noise?

Sounds like possibly something is too tight in the fan shroud. I'm wondering if the shroud could be gently bent outward to increase clearances.

I can't see anything binding and would love to take it apart, but am reluctant to do so due to violating the warranty.

Sure, I wouldn't want that. Try to get hold of Mike. He monitors the boards here and should get you fixed up. It is possible the manufacturer of the blower got a bit too tight on tolerances on a batch of blowers. I'm not sure who makes them for Englander, maybe Fasco?

Okay, I'm looking at the fan/wheel on the blower. The wheel has a slight horizontal movement to it; if I move it to the right, it will spin with my finger with no binding, while moving it to the left, it will bind and not rotate when turned on. While shining a light into it, you can see where the wheel fins come into contact with the bottom inside shroud.

That is exactly what I did couple of winters ago with my blower- just gently move it left or right until You find the best position.
Speaking of Englander, I think they have the BEST support and warranty. Last year when I had a problem with my insert , I called and emailed pics. to Mike . After a few days he called me back to tell me he is shipping a brand new stove. Yeah, that is what I call a service !
( Thank You Brother Bart for pointing me in the right direction )

Maybe once it is close to the firebox the metal fins are expanding and making a contact?

Now this may seem strange, but any chance the old hearth pad that the insert is sitting on is not level? I'm wondering if operating the blower at an off angle could be an issue?

Did you double check the voltage at that plug? Do you have breakers in your panel box or fuses? An electrical shortfall could still be causing what you are seeing.

pen

I have the 13nci also. The first blower lasted for 3 mo. The replacement blower did what yours is doing the squirrel cage is sliding down the shaft till it hits the housing.

I fixed mine by putting a small amount of caulk on the shaft so it cant slide down. Had to use a very thin piece of metal to get down thru the squirrel cage to the shaft.

Englander service is great.

However their does seem to be a few blower problems. Hey also make sure that you have the blower top up I think the bottom is the side the screw heads are on.

I really like my insert.

Thanks Englander.

WARDNEAL said:
I have the 13nci also. The first blower lasted for 3 mo. The replacement blower did what yours is doing the squirrel cage is sliding down the shaft till it hits the housing.

I fixed mine by putting a small amount of caulk on the shaft so it cant slide down. Had to use a very thin piece of metal to get down thru the squirrel cage to the shaft.

Englander service is great.

However their does seem to be a few blower problems. Hey also make sure that you have the blower top up I think the bottom is the side the screw heads are on.

I really like my insert.

Thanks Englander.

Good info, Neal. This should be communicated to Englander. They don't make the blowers. It sounds like they need to reject the current blowers and have their mfg. correct the issue.

Make great wood stoves but from my experience with the blower on the 30-NC, now finally dead after making racket from day one for four years, their track record with blowers ain't looking too good.

BrotherBart said:
Make great wood stoves but from my experience with the blower on the 30-NC, now finally dead after making racket from day one for four years, their track record with blowers ain't looking too good.

That just helped make my mind up. I do not have a blower and was about to buy one. I think I'll leave well enough alone.

pen

Little D. said:
Hey Folks,

I purchased the 13nci on 1/31/10, love the insert, but... The blower that came with the insert AC-13BA worked for about 20 minutes. I contacted tech support and they sent me a new blower immediately. Fire #2 - Middle tube falling down; I loosened the screw and tried to move the tube and tightened screw but the tube continued to fall (I should have just bent the bracket but I figured this should be done right) so I contacted tech support and they sent me a new tube) Blower #2 worked for about ten fires and started to make metal on metal sounds so I contacted tech support (I even sent them a voice memo of the sound coming from the blower) and the tech said ""this doesn't happen, these are good blowers" do you still have the original blower? No, it didn't work, if you wanted it back you should have sent me a return postage label. Anyway, they sent me another blower (with a return postage label) I received it on Thursday and started using the new one today, for about an hour and then it was metal on metal again.

What good is an insert with no blower?

Has anyone had this problem? England tech support has been good, but the technicians attitude has started to change.

Starting to get fed up!

Little D

give me a call about it monday, im PMing you my direct extension

Status
Not open for further replies.