Englander 10-CPM blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Presa canario

Oct 6, 2009
Central, pa
When you shut down blower will work properly and kick on. About 45 minutes in the blower stops operating but the auger and everything else work. THis is a englander multi-fuel pellet stove.

Any ideas?

One thing I can think of to look at, what is your AOT setting?

ETA:

Here is what I think may be happening.

The stove during start up runs at a fairly high firing rate to bring the stove up to temperature quickly, if the AOT setting is other than 1 when the stove exits start up the stoves firing rate reverts to your user set rate or maintenance burn which no longer satisfies the AOT value so the convection fan stops running awaiting an event that may never happen.

Sort of like the high limit on my stove will never trip at firing rate one even if the convection blower is stopped or taken off the device.

This is a theory on my part. But I believe based on certain comments that AOT stands for air on temperature.

Presa canario said:
When you shut down blower will work properly and kick on. About 45 minutes in the blower stops operating but the auger and everything else work.....

I'm missing something here.....when you shut the stove off, a blower then starts running? Aren't they are both running before you shut it off? ....I'm confused.

I recently switched my bottom (3) buttons back to normal pellet mode of 1-4-1 and when I came home from work realized the blower was not working. So I shut down/ restarted and everything worked for about 45 minutes then the blower shut off. So I cleaned again and I am on 2nd start up and I switched bottom (3) buttons to 3-2-1

Which blower? If you mean the convection blower, are you running the stove on Hi-Lo mode, and on a stat?

If the stove goes into Lo fire, and not enough heat is generated, the POF switch will open and shut the convection fan off. Mine does this at night when stat isn't calling for heat.

Have you cleaned the stove recently? Have you switched pellet brand?

Factory settings for the 10-cpm are 1-4-1.

Convetion blower....

Had a stat on it and just took it off/ I'm moving so leaving pellet stove here... not sure about the hi-lo mode?

Stove might need a thorough cleaning now. i have switched pellet brand as local supply has been limited.

Stove and convetion blower are working now... been running now for 20 minutes

Presa canario said:
Convetion blower....

Had a stat on it and just took it off

Did you put the jumper wire back across the stat connections on the control board, after disconnecting the stat?

Yeah put the jumper wire back in, its been running fine for weeks. switched pellet brands recently and switched the mode to 1-4-1 yesterday

On my PDV, if I run at my LFF at 2 and my AOT at 1, occasionally the blower will shut off because the firebox has cooled down. I imagine that the situation could be similar for the CPM, especially if the new pellets you are using are longer on average than the last brand you were using.

If it's still doing the same thing on lower settings of 3-2-1, then try bumping up your heat range for about 15 min to 3 or 4 and see what happens. Don't leave it that way if the blower doesn't come on. You don't want to put it into an overheat situation.

You can likely get the same situation by running your stove on low and having your air a bit high, the actual fire could be hotter, but is likely to be smaller and the exhaust will be quicker going through the stove, resulting in a bit less of the heat being extracted and thus lower the temperature where that temperature sensor is attached.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You can likely get the same situation by running your stove on low and having your air a bit high, the actual fire could be hotter, but is likely to be smaller and the exhaust will be quicker going through the stove, resulting in a bit less of the heat being extracted and thus lower the temperature where that temperature sensor is attached.

Could be Smokey. If I were the OP, I'd lower the LBA to 2 or 3 while he is burning on the lower heat settings to keep the warm air in the stove longer. I did that recently, and am presently at 1-2-1. When it gets cold at night, I raise the heat settings, and go back to 1-3-1, or 1-4-1.

Kofkorn, sounds like you have been making changes to the AOT on your stove? It should always be at 1.

imacman said:
Kofkorn, sounds like you have been making changes to the AOT on your stove? It should always be at 1.

Nope, AOT's never been off of 1. I was just writing to show how a low LFF could turn off the blower. Just wrote it the wrong way. Actually I don't see any reason that anyone would want to turn the AOT on higher. You'd just be throwing heat out the exhaust for no reason. Same reason that I never run my room blower lower than 9. Why let any possible heat escape when you can keep it in your house instead? We have it in a room where the blower noise really doesn't affect much, so we just keep it maxxed out. I'm sure that's a big part of the reason that the blower shuts down occasionally.

Then there is always the possibility that the thermal sensor isn't firmly affixed to its spot on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.