Englander 10cpm and Skytech 3301P, what gives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

champscorner

Sep 7, 2009
Midwest Ohio
Ok, ordered the Skytech 3301P for my Englander 10cpm and I think I have it hooked up correctly but it's not working. Firstly, I couldn't find any info anywhere on HOW to hook up a WIRELESS thermostat. I did find info on installing a regular themostat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just assume it wires the same as a regular thermostat. So I removed the jumper wire and slid the wires into thermostat box n the control board and tightened the screws back down(there set in there tight). I have the transmitter box set to remote. I have the remote running and can hear the beep at the transmitter box when I hit the mode on/off button on the remote, so I know it's gettinga signal. I can't get anything to happen with the stove though, won't turn on/off or adjust temp. What am I doing wrong? Will this unit even work with a 10 cpm? I know the website recommends a wireless Skytech, it's a different model, but looks exactly the same.Thanks for any help

PM sent back, thanks.

any wireless remote is just like a wired thermostat
all it does is open and close the thermostat circuit. (pull the wires apart and then close them back)
if you are hearing the reciever beep then it is doing its job as long it is connected to the stoves thermostat connection.
some stoves have jumpers on the back side of the control board to set the stove for use of a thermostat. and some will have 2 modes to choose ON and OFF mode or
Hi low mode. and some just have a switch right on the front of the control board for this. AUTO/ OFF / MANUAL or HI/LOW / AUTO
it just depends on your brand model.

sound like you are not familiar on what the thermostat fuction does on your stove.
sorry I can not help you because Im not familar on the englander thermostat mode.

but most ither put the stove to a low keep fire
and some put the stove into a short low mode 30 minutes to an 1 hour then shut the stove off.

but most have a 15 to 30 minute start up mode when you first turn the stove on and in this time your thermostat will have no effect until the start up mode is complete

hearthtools said:
.....some stoves have jumpers on the back side of the control board to set the stove for use of a thermostat. and some will have 2 modes to choose ON and OFF mode or Hi low mode.

but most have a 15 to 30 minute start up mode when you first turn the stove on and in this time your thermostat will have no effect until the start up mode is complete

Rod, I just sent him the procedure to switch between Hi-Lo or On-Off mode. It's only on the very latest Englander control boards for the 10-cpm and the Evolution stove. PM me if you want, and I can send you the procedure to switch modes, just in case you come across this in your service calls.

macman said:
hearthtools said:
.....some stoves have jumpers on the back side of the control board to set the stove for use of a thermostat. and some will have 2 modes to choose ON and OFF mode or Hi low mode.

Rod, I just sent him the procedure to switch between Hi-Lo or On-Off mode. It's only on the very latest Englander control boards for the 10-cpm and the Evolution stove. PM me if you want, and I can send you the procedure to switch modes, just in case you come across this in your service calls.
No Eglanders sold out this was. I have only come across one older one I had to work on and SORRY but what a POS.

is the instructions a PDF file? or a text file you can copy and put here so other people can find the info fast.

OK still not working. Macman, I do have the new control board and changed my settings as you suggested. It was set to hi/low and I switched it to On/off like you recommend but still can't get the thermostat to control the unit. I unhooked the wires from the thermostat box and the remote box and rehooked them back in to make sure I was getting good contact. Still nothing. The remote box is still beeping when I hit the thermostat mode button between on and off but the stove will not start up nor will it shutdown if I have the stove on and set the temp on the t-stat 10 deg cooler. I do let the 20min startup mode run through before I try anything so that isn't the problem. Is it possible this skytech model # doesn't work with this model stove? I would think it wouldn't be much different than the model they suggest on the Englander site, they look exactly the same. Unless you guys have some other suggestions I'll just try to get ahold of Mike Holton on Monday to see what he suggests. Thanks again.

hearthtools said:
No Eglanders sold out this was. I have only come across one older one I had to work on and SORRY but what a POS.
is the instructions a PDF file? or a text file you can copy and put here so other people can find the info fast.

Sorry to hear about the poor experience w/ the older englander. The newer ones (10-cpm & Evolution) are much different than the earlier models from what I can see, and are much more similar to my Astoria (top feeder, single auger), so the jump for me from one to another wasn't bad....just had to learn the control board. My Astoria was very simple....switches and control knobs....nothing really "electronic", so to speak.

As for posting the procedure, I can just type it on a post, as it's only 3 lines. If people want it, let me know by PM.

macman said:
As for posting the procedure, I can just type it on a post, as it's only 3 lines. If people want it, let me know by PM.

Ya, thanks for the heads up on that. They really should have that in the manual :)

champscorner said:
OK still not working. Macman, I do have the new control board and changed my settings as you suggested. It was set to hi/low and I switched it to On/off like you recommend but still can't get the thermostat to control the unit. I unhooked the wires from the thermostat box and the remote box and rehooked them back in to make sure I was getting good contact. Still nothing. The remote box is still beeping when I hit the thermostat mode button between on and off but the stove will not start up nor will it shutdown if I have the stove on and set the temp on the t-stat 10 deg cooler. I do let the 20min startup mode run through before I try anything so that isn't the problem. Is it possible this skytech model # doesn't work with this model stove? I would think it wouldn't be much different than the model they suggest on the Englander site, they look exactly the same. Unless you guys have some other suggestions I'll just try to get ahold of Mike Holton on Monday to see what he suggests. Thanks again.

Again all thermostats including wireless to the same thing they just open up the circuit when no heat is called for and closing the circuit when heat is called for.

the next step is to take a ohm meter and see if the receiver is open and closing the circuit when the remote is turning it off and off.

hearthtools said:
the next step is to take a ohm meter and see if the receiver is open and closing the circuit when the remote is turning it off and off.
Rod, champscorner told me by PM that he doesn't own an volt/ohmmeter, so that's out. Any kind of test light that would work that he might have?

macman said:
hearthtools said:
Rod, champscorner told me by PM that he doesn't own an volt/ohmmeter, so that's out. Any kind of test light that would work that he might have?

ohm/continuity
the remote unit puts out no voltage it only opens and closes a circuit

Had same problem earlier and just switched from hi/low. Everything has been working since then! Good luck. Are u getting a "p" or "c" when switching back and forth w/ the high/low?

Status
Not open for further replies.