Englander 12-fp questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
So, HD is offering the Enlander 12-fp for $174 at this time. I have been thinking about how to best use the guest home (about 800 sq ft) with a wood stove. I currently have a Hearthstone II in it, which although pretty to look at is too much heat for the small place and it is difficult to control the heat output. I have a Fisher Baby Bear sitting in the barn that I have slated to put in it, but now that I have the 30-nc, i really enjoy the fire from the incredibly clean glass. I am thinking about buying this one too and letting someone else appreciate the other stoves.

My questions:

I read a HD review stating 5-10 hour burns. What are the burn times that you all have seen?
Between this and the Baby Bear, is this a better stove for daily use- I will likely have family staying in it fulltime next burning season.
(incidently, this price is about $50 less than I paid for the Baby Bear)

You think a person could put a spin draft cap on one of these puppies for better airtake? :)

As always, your opinions are welcome and looked forward too.

-Ray

Ray, that is a heck of a deal. You do know that this is not similar to the 30NC, right? This is not an EPA stove. There are a few reviews on the site.

Maybe look at the Englander 17VL as an alternative?

BG-
I realize it is non-EPA. I was just thinking about the glass of the 30 NC and being able to enjoy the view of the fire (if comparable airwash technology). I don't think that I want to spend the extra $600 for an EPA stove at this time. I was confirming that the 30 NC prices changed and I ran across the price for the 12 fp and started thinking...

I made my first 2 stove buys impulsively- and I wanted to avoid this. I realize that that $174 for an 12 FP is inexpensive, especially when HD lists then for $999 at other zip codes. I could use the $174 for something to benefit my kids if I am trading apples for apples. I was thinking that it may allow for better heat control given the smaller suggested heating space and have the benefit of seeing a fire (and even providing a night light for my little kinfolk who will be staying here). I am going to think on this for a day or 2.

For those interested, I found the price on the the Williston, VT Home Dept site.

-Ray

I can only speak about my experience with the 12-FP...It was our first wood stove this season....husband bought it spur of the moment and boom....brought it home for supplemental heat in the "mancave".....he said "yeah honey...all you have to do is throw a few logs in every once in awhile".....yeah well...I freakin learned that stove....operated well...so I thought....The mancave area is about 400 square feet....it did heat it....and yeah some heat did circulate to the other parts of the house....thought it was great....then came to Hearth.com....and saw a 13 in operation elsewhere....

The burning times are not 8-10 hours.....I mean even if you let it burn down to coals....we got maybe 3-4 hours tops from load to bearly enough coals to start a fresh load...and that was with very good seasoned wood....

I know it seems like a good deal....you will have to make your own decision....but it will consume a good amount of wood with not a lot of heat....(as opposed to the 13)....I put a stove top thermometer on the 12 and thought it was broken because it never went above 200-250.....also, when we cleaned the flue after 1 month...there was a considerable amount of creosote in it..(perhaps because we were new burners and learning).....

Just wanted to give ya my imput...yes it will give heat.....but I am not experienced enough to suggest an alternative....I think there has to be something else out there for the square footage that you can get more heat and less loading....and for the increased cost of a different stove....that cost will make up for the wood consumed in the 12......BTW....I love my 13.....furnace has not kicked on in months...since we had the 12

I used a 12. Burned great this season. Do a search with my name and you'll come up with a fun chart for ONE burn that I did at a fairly low temperature. You can do 8 hour burns with this stove, but you'll have to run it too low and creosote buildup will be a problem. If you need to run it higher because it's too cold outside, then you are going to have wild swings in temps.

Overall, it's a great non-epa stove. I have no experience with the more efficient 13, so I can't really comment on anything else except to say that it may be a simple little stove, but it burned 1000 times better than the fireplace I put it in.

I did a search Danno for the 12 chart...curious to see....could not find it...out of curiosity...were you utilizing the factory installed damper device to "slow" the burn or did you install a key damper? and were you burning seasoned wood? Just wondering....

Status
Not open for further replies.