Englander 12NC, my Frankenstien with secondary air. Pictures and details!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warm in RI said:
raybonz said:
Warm in RI said:
Thanks Ray. I'm from Pawtucket. About a mile or two from the Seekonk and Attleboro Mass borders. And about a mile form the Pawtucket Red sox stadium.

I like McCoy stadium! I would guess about an hr. from each other.. I am very close to Edaville Railroad.. I get my firewood from a guy on the Rehobeth/Taunton line..

Ray

Yeah, and ironically I haven't been since I was a kid. I could see the fireworks from my back yard if not for the neighbors trees. The wife wants to go to a game next summer. She's from NYC, perhaps she just wants to go so she can boooo.

Is it Richard from Oakdale Farms? Yeah, I support the local farmer and buy my wood. I tried gathering my own one year. Now I'll stack it and use my maul to make big splits into smaller ones every couple days but that's as much work as I want to do. At $200 a cord for red oak I can't complain.

Nope a guy named Ray and a real nice guy too.. He is reasonable and so far honest...I pay less than that, if you want I'll give you his number..

Ray

raybonz said:
Warm in RI said:
raybonz said:
Warm in RI said:
Thanks Ray. I'm from Pawtucket. About a mile or two from the Seekonk and Attleboro Mass borders. And about a mile form the Pawtucket Red sox stadium.

I like McCoy stadium! I would guess about an hr. from each other.. I am very close to Edaville Railroad.. I get my firewood from a guy on the Rehobeth/Taunton line..

Ray

Yeah, and ironically I haven't been since I was a kid. I could see the fireworks from my back yard if not for the neighbors trees. The wife wants to go to a game next summer. She's from NYC, perhaps she just wants to go so she can boooo.

Is it Richard from Oakdale Farms? Yeah, I support the local farmer and buy my wood. I tried gathering my own one year. Now I'll stack it and use my maul to make big splits into smaller ones every couple days but that's as much work as I want to do. At $200 a cord for red oak I can't complain.

Nope a guy named Ray and a real nice guy too.. He is reasonable and so far honest...I pay less than that, if you want I'll give you his number..

Ray

Sure! I'll take it.

Warm in RI said:
raybonz said:
Warm in RI said:
raybonz said:
Warm in RI said:

Ray

Ray

Sure! I'll take it.

PM sent.. lemme know know how u make out.. He has loads of red oak..

Ray

Warm in RI said:
Danno77 said:
I have mine between the flue and the front about midway. I don't remember why I picked that spot. Might have been from an email I got from ESW or it might have been trial and error. I have an IR, so I can always check things out with that if I need to.

Wow, and you're able to 700* there huh? Impressive.
I didn't really want to overfire, so I shut it down right after these pics were taken. Infrared agrees pretty closely with the thermometer. I need to double check the one on the Flue, though, because It was pegged even though the IR didn't read near that high. That stinks, because of the data chart I made earlier, although I guess it would mean that the heat was staying in the stove more than the numbers read instead of all going up the chimney. Oh well...

Hottest spot seemed to be more like a third of the way from the left of the stove (as you face it) and mid distance between the stack and the stove front. We are talking like 20-30 degrees warmer than other places, so no biggie.

Attachments

• IMAG0105 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0105 (Small).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0107 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0107 (Small).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 163
and now you see why it was so important for me to figure out that you could adjust that air control box so that it actually does something!!! The better my wood gets the easier it is to get those high temps. I'm not using any less wood, though, because it's all supplemental, so I just really get to run the stove a little hotter for the same amount of time. I might save some NG, though.

Awesome Danno. Looks like your variables all line up perfectly for your stove. It's a beautiful thing. Unfortunately, the single wall pipe would over heat on mine before the stove top ever got that high, before the mods that is.

Warm in RI said:
Awesome Danno. Looks like your variables all line up perfectly for your stove. It's a beautiful thing. Unfortunately, the single wall pipe would over heat on mine before the stove top ever got that high, before the mods that is.
When I let it rip like that i wasn't paying attention to the pipe, then I look at the sucker and it was off the gauge markings. I got kinda scared for a second, that's when I decided to put the IR to it. I'm just sure that the thing reads right at lower temps, so maybe it just isn't very consistent as the temps get extreme. I'll have to keep my eye on it now that I have this IR thermometer.

Danno77 said:
and now you see why it was so important for me to figure out that you could adjust that air control box so that it actually does something!!! The better my wood gets the easier it is to get those high temps. I'm not using any less wood, though, because it's all supplemental, so I just really get to run the stove a little hotter for the same amount of time. I might save some NG, though.

Amen to that. Overcoming those controls was a huge leap for me too. Btw, I wasn't doubting your word on those stove temps. I was just a little bummed cuz I never hit them and puzzled as to why. My wood may not have been as good as I thought it was either, though it was certainly way better than it was the year before.

Warm in RI said:
Amen to that. Overcoming those controls was a huge leap for me too. Btw, I wasn't doubting your word on those stove temps. I was just a little bummed cuz I never hit them and puzzled as to why. My wood may not have been as good as I thought it was either, though it was certainly way better than it was the year before.
Oh, I knew you weren't doubting me. I just like to mess with the stove. it gave me something to do.

Danno77 said:
Warm in RI said:
When I let it rip like that i wasn't paying attention to the pipe, then I look at the sucker and it was off the gauge markings. I got kinda scared for a second, that's when I decided to put the IR to it. I'm just sure that the thing reads right at lower temps, so maybe it just isn't very consistent as the temps get extreme. I'll have to keep my eye on it now that I have this IR thermometer.

Those IR guns are funny sometimes. If you aim at the pipe and you're not on center the reading gets lower. Try it. Hit it dead center then then veer left or right. My gun doesn't like to read things on an angled. My experience anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.