Englander 13 installed today. We have heat again :) *2 ?s added*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Nov 28, 2009
Black Hills
First, THANK YOU all again for helping me so much in our stove search after our small chimney fire incident. The Englander 13 was delivered Thursday and the installers came today. I keep looking at our newly revamped stove corner and classy new stove and can't believe this is in OUR house! ;) Now I just need to get the ceiling trim back up as we had replaced the drywall in that corner too.
We're on our second small fire of the day to cure the paint etc as I type. What a major improvement from our old Fischer box stove. Wow, we don't know how to act! I keep wiping every little speck of dirt our dust that even thinks of getting anywhere near it or the tile.
We went with DuraVent double walled stovepipe and DuraTech double walled insulated chimney. We also extended the chimney four feet higher then it was and our draft is way better. Excited to get more used to operating this stove and seeing how toasty we'll be in our 500 square feet. Now we can return all the little portable electric heaters that have been our heat for nearly a month.
Here's a few pix of the first fire. God bless each one of you!

NewStove-firstfireb-Dec13-2011.jpg

NewStove-firstfire-Dec13-2011.jpg

Wow, looks so good it belongs in a brochure. Enjoy! Loved my 13

Very Very Nice! Hope you enjoy your Englander as much as I do mine! Now you're ready for when the real winter hits!!

Thats what this is all about. Stay with us and share your story, you can help someone who is like you once were. Great job btw!

Wow. That black and gold on that color tile, looks gorgeous. Very nice work.

Rightfully so, you should be proud and want to keep it clean (at least for a bit ;-P). Very Nice.

Nice! Looks fantastic. Love my 13. I have been running it for almost 2 years now.

That is beautiful. Since it is way early I had to go out to the recycle bin to get a beer can to throw at my ugly hearth this time.

Enjoy and here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 489
Oh you guys made my morning!! :) :) Thanks so much for all your comments, sure do appreciate them.

Great Pictures and Great Little Stove. Enjoy...

Very nice stove, hearth and install!

Congrats!

Ray

Thanks! :) I've already removed a layer of clothes compared to what I all had to wear with those electric heaters. And I don't even have a monster fire going, just a real good burn, actually got to watch what a secondary is too!
@ BrotherBart, I'll "wear" that shirt with pride ;)

Go Deb !! Looks awesome !! Love the stencily thing to the left :)

Welcome to the club :)

I figured you'd like that Eileen! It's actual metal art that I bought at a show for my hubby's birthday several years back.

Debi said:
I figured you'd like that Eileen! It's actual metal art that I bought at a show for my hubby's birthday several years back.

Whew. I was afraid it was a gang symbol of some kind. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Debi said:

LOL LOL

Debi said:
BrotherBart said:
Debi said:

LOL LOL

Yep, it's gang thingy .. the gang of horse lovers :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Yep, it's gang thingy .. the gang of horse lovers :)

Ah. Now I see. I have to move through these threads too fast sometimes. :)

Ride on.

Glad the fire didnt take your whole house.

Hanko said:
Glad the fire didnt take your whole house.

Yes. It was a God thing :) He fully protected us and it was amazing!

Two more questions for all you good people here....

Up to one split last night, we have had good clear glass other then a touch of dirt in one corner near where the door gasket edges meet (which looks frayed and is still white while the rest is black), and no smoke from the chimney. Right before bed last night I put another split on, slightly larger with a big knot on one end. Instantly the firebox was alot of smoke rolling around with plenty of flame and then I had smoke from the chimney for several hours. This morning the glass is dirty other then the very top. This split is from the same tree and wood pile that we have been burning. Could it have had more moisture in it because of the knot? While that split was on, the secondary had a hard time kicking in, even though there was plenty of flame, and the fire was not snuffed down. Sorry, can't give you temps as I am still waiting on my thermometers.

Second question. When all this was installed on Tuesday, the installer showed me that the six foot section of chimney had a different "silver" look then the two foot section which was a bit lighter and duller. They were both DuraTech double walled insulated chimney right from the box. The six foot section after two days is very dark and the two foot section looks the same as when installed. Is this normal?

I tend to get touches of black in the corners on med/low burns as well.
I also find that if I toss in a split that is really heavy with pine pitch (talking oozing out @ room temperatures) my glass will get quite dirty in a hurry.
It also could be the seasoning time - stuff I CSS in June is perfect, but stuff from Aug is still noticeably wetter.

Is there a chance that the outside of that 6ft pipe was galvanized?

Thanks for the speedy response fellow Wyomingite ;) I don't know about the pipe. The installer brought them with him after picking them up from the place I bought them. They both came out of new boxes and are DuraTech double walled insulated chimney. He did point out to me that they were different shades once they were installed and he said he wasn't sure why. I was surprised that the lower, longer pipe is so dark already and the other unchanged. Both the cap, and the lower pipe are quite dark and it's only been two days. Does that sound right?

If you still have those boxes it'd be worth checking, as DuraTech does make both stainless and galvanized double wall pipe. (Oops, just saw that you don't)
If so, the galvanized will take on a darker hue over time. You'd see the main change in the first weeks, and after that it'll level out.
It's not the end of the world, just aesthetics really. Plus, it probably saved you some money in the materials department.

Status
Not open for further replies.