Englander 13 NC users, door hinge pin question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed on the new Magnolias in TSC that they must have know it was an issue because they redesigned how the door mounts. Its on fixed pins assemblies that bolt to the stove front. Door just sits on them. No way for the whole door to ride up. Looked like a good fix plus if anything happens you can just bolt another pin on.

I wonder how much trouble would it be for the manufactures to simply make the pin a bit longer and put a small cotter key through it?

I suppose it may detract from aesthetics which is probably why it hasn't been done.

pen

wkpoor said:
Looked like a good fix plus if anything happens you can just bolt another pin on.

Which is something I don't want. I don't want holes punched in that firebox to introduce another point for cracks to develop.

I was down at the ESW plant and saw where they fit the door as they weld the hinges for a good fit.

I don't think a round hole is a likely crack point but they could just weld them on still keeping with 2 fixed pins pointing north. Either way it solves the creeping pin problem.

For 25 years it ain't been any more of a problem than having to clean out ashes is here.

Easier than remembering to change a central heating filter.

pen said:
I wonder how much trouble would it be for the manufactures to simply make the pin a bit longer and put a small cotter key through it?

I suppose it may detract from aesthetics which is probably why it hasn't been done.

pen
When I put the Mag back into service in the summer kitchen I'll experiment with a fix. I'll try longer stainless pins first. If that doesn't work then I'll put retainers on them.

Is the stove body hinge open at the bottom or closed? If it is open, I wonder if this would work? Drill and tap the pin with say a #6-32 screw thread. Then use a 6-32 screw and flat washer to retain the pin.

As long as both of mine don't pop out!!! Oh! OH! This has the potential to become rather interesting too....but in a different way....Begreen, my husband suggested exactly what you said, well not Exactly, but close, wonder if it would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.