Englander 13-NCH new install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanark

Oct 13, 2015
Wisconsin
I am currently installing an Englander 13-NCH and am posting to get some input on a few questions. The old insert was out of date as well as having a very small leak coming in through the old chimney chase cap.

First, the plan is to install 5 layers of 1/2" NextGen Durock to get the R2.0 that this model requires. The sub-floor is composed of a composite 1/2" OSB and 3/4" Particle Board over the joists. Should anything be placed over the particle board before laying the Durock? Do I need to use mortar between each sheet?

Clearances for this model will be more than adequate on the front and sides for my planned hearth and location of the existing side walls from the previous fireplace setup. The only issue was the 13" from combustibles that the single wall stove pipe needs between the stove and the Class A sections in the roof. The existing chimney hole was too close to the back wall and it seemed I would need to do some major roof work to get the new chimney in. The solution was to tear out the back wall and install steel studs to gain another 3-5/8". With zero combustibles within the 13" zone around the single wall pipe, I believe I should be ok to proceed with using the old chimney? I was planning to run the new chimney through the old 13"ish as another non combustible barrier in the roof section and terminate that old chimney below the chase roof, would I encounter any problems with doing that? (Somewhere I think I read about possible condensation problems?)

The chimney chase cap was removed and definitely had some water leakage that was evident as soon as I lifted the lid (and dealt with a hive of wasps, luckily it was a cold day and they moved slowly). Seeing as a flat roof seems like a bad idea I decided to modify the chase construction to pitch the roof at the same slope as the rest of the roof. This will allow me to use a standard chimney pipe boot and shingles as if it were a new penetration in my roof, plus it will be sloped unlike the old chase cap!

My last question is concerning the final tiling over all of the Durock. The initial plan was to get all of the Durock seams taped and mortared, along with a scratch coat over the entire surface before tiling. Due to my budget on this I don't think I can get the tile in before I need to start using the stove. If I leave the scratch coat as a temporary finish surface and use the stove all winter, would I encounter any problems in tiling this early next spring?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Welcome. The old chimney can not be used. It does not have a high enough temperature rating. New class A pipe needs to be installed at the ceiling penetration and on up through the roof. Stove pipe must stop at the room ceiling. Single wall pipe needs 18" clearance. Use double-wall stove pipe if there are combustibles closer than 18".

For the hearth I wouldn't use anything between the layers of Durock NexGen. As a temp measure until the tiling starts I would make 4" squares of durock scrap and put them under the feet.

Note that you'll want at least 15 ft of flue system for this stove to draft well.

I should clarify, I am not using the old chimney, I was planning to run the new through the largest section of the old. It was a triple wall disaster that was filled with dead insects. I have all new Class A chimney and plan to run that from the ceiling on up. Can you site your 18" declaration, I need documentation to back up any install, plus the Englander manual it states 13" and my township says to conform to WI UDC, which states I should follow the manufacturers instructions.

Thank you for the quick reply! I like your suggestion of placing 1/4" material under the pedestal and will do that until I tile!

Englander docs can be infuriating. We just had the same issue with a 17VL install. They are only reporting the tested stove clearance. Once you leave the stove the pipe clearance takes over. I don't have the code book but you can look it up or go by the stove pipe mfg. installation documentation. 18" for single wall pipe in all directions, 6" for double-wall to the wall and 9" to the ceiling. You can reduce the clearance for the single wall pipe to 6" by extending a proper NFPA211 wall shield up to the chimney connection or by attaching heat shields to the pipe on spacers. Double-wall pipe is preferred for a cleaner installation that often drafts better.

This from page 6 of the manual:
Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 8.25.32 PM.png
More guidance:
http://www.woodheat.org/flue-pipe-installation.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.