Englander 13 NCI Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIMENEA

Oct 9, 2010
South Jersey
Hi all. First, like a lot of first posts I see here, I'd like to thank everyone for the information they have made available, I've learned a lot lurking and probably won't burn the house down 'now' due to not knowing.

My question has to do with the Englander 13 insert hearth requirements. I see the freestanding 13nc has an R2 hearth spec clearly spelled out, but the 13nci has "Do not install this stove on a hearth that is constructed of wood framework that is covered
by brick or stone and do not install this unit in a zero (0) clearance fireplace" listed. Page 19 has hearth protection in front and on sides of insert noted as R 0.5 which seems to contradict the severity of the previous statement. I also noticed last night in a thread 'tickbitty' saying the insert needs to be on a 6" raised hearth after speaking to Englander which I can't find in the online manual. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/46618/

I have an exterior masonry fireplace, but the hearth is brick laid on a piece of plywood over a crawlspace. I was planning on upgrading the hearth anyway because I see some black char marks on the wood under the house around the hearth. I have a sheet of micore and was going to use one or two air spaces.

My concern is that the insert is putting out a greater amount of heat downward than the leg model since its laying on the hearth. Anyone have any info on this model from installing it.

Hi, the raised hearth issue I had was NOT on a 13, it was a Englander 24-JC. That was a bigger older insert that they no longer make, and it sits half on the hearth and half in the fireplace. I have a flush hearth, and once I had the big heavy stove in my house I realized the diagram showed it sitting on a 6" hearth, though that was not spelled out in the manual at all. But the customer service guys figured they better stick with it, so out the "new" used stove went!

Anyway, I do NOT think that the 13 NC insert has any such requirement. Hopefully others will check in here on your other issues.

Englander customer service got back to me and said the hearth would need to be upgraded to R1.5 for anyone else in a similiar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.