Englander 13 side heat shields.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Anybody only use 1 of the side heat shields for a 13? The left side of stove meets clearance specs but have thought of putting a shield on it anyway. As they are only sold in pairs, I wondered if anyone had a left side they weren't using and wanted to sell.

My 13 is similar. One side is ok the other needed the heat by like a 1/2" or something don't remember. Anyway I use them both because I thought it would look off balance and weird with only one on JMHO.

ckarotka said:
My 13 is similar. One side is ok the other needed the heat by like a 1/2" or something don't remember. Anyway I use them both because I thought it would look off balance and weird with only one on JMHO.

Do they also help as far as heat movement?

I don't really know because I never ran it without them. The house gets plenty warm and the top of that stove radiates like a champ. I added the blower also, that really moves the heat when coming home to a cold house. I don't run the blower all the time because it does make some noise, and changes how you run the stove, but I will run it about an hour before the kids go to bed to get some extra heat down the hall to the bedrooms, and when I want quick heat.

I bought the blower at Home Depot in Feb when it was on clearance cheap.

ckarotka said:
I don't really know because I never ran it without them. The house gets plenty warm and the top of that stove radiates like a champ. I added the blower also, that really moves the heat when coming home to a cold house. I don't run the blower all the time because it does make some noise, and changes how you run the stove, but I will run it about an hour before the kids go to bed to get some extra heat down the hall to the bedrooms, and when I want quick heat.

I bought the blower at Home Depot in Feb when it was on clearance cheap.

Not to take away from the orginal topic but how cheap? I have only seen them going for $130 at HD. Also is there anything unique to the blower like a thermocouple so it only comes on when its too hot? I ask because I have a blower from an old stove I just adapted to my NC13 and it works great but its just on or off nothing else.

There's a guy on here with a stone farmhouse who's got 30 stoves or similar, one for each chimney and window. He recently took the shields off his englander and he says the house is much, much warmer sans shields.

I would guess it would do weird things to your burn patterns if you're one of the people that loads up the box until the wood is going up the chimney, but I can't imagine it would hurt if the thing isn't packed to the gills and running flat out.

I paid 100. Found paperwork cuz I wanted to see if it qualifies as an installation part for the rebate. I thought it was less than that for some reason. The blower is a straight on and off no thermo. Low seems to work just fine. The only time I ran it on high was during a learning experience and the stove got way hotter than I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.