Englander 13NC on a 5.5" or 5" Liner...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delp

Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
Just spoke with Englander, and they said no problem, but it was one of those calls where you know the person on the other end is new --he put me on hold for a second and came back with, "yeah, the senior techs say it's fine"

Grant it, this is just what I want to hear because it's not looking like getting a 6" liner up the chimney is going to work.

So, my question to you all is what do YOU think?

I've got somewhere between 30' - 35' of flue, so I think (hope) this will make up for a reduction in liner size; (yes, I've searched and read a bunch of posts on this issue)...what I'd love to hear is from folks with this Englander. Alternately, I'll consider the smaller 17VL too if it can function better/safer than the 13 with a smaller liner, but I'd like to get as much heat as possible. Also, would a smooth walled liner help to counter the reduced diameter?

Thank you!

My Endeavor is hooked to an insulated 5.5" that is around 30' and the draft is too much in my opinion. It burns great but there are times when I'd like to have a little more control over it. With that much length I think you'll be fine, I believe BB runs his 30 on a 5.5" liner and Todd also runs his fireview on a 5.5" liner.

Yep, I'd probably go with the smaller liner myself. Unless this is in a negative pressure zone, it should draft fine. How does the chimney currently draft?

PS: Is this a basement stove? If yes, is it being installed for the basement heating only?

the draft in the two exposed, open flues is nuts. I have plastic taped around the firebox and it is perpetually sucked in like a sail in high seas (even with pink insulation stuffed up as far as I can get it). I'm a total newb, so take my take on things with lots of salt...

this is one of the most exhausting emotional roller-coasters I've ever been on...one day it's all looking great, and the next I plummet. The installer (a friend who is giving me a major price break) just left with the grim news about the 6" most likely not a "go."

Thanks for your encouragement! Right now, I'm thrilled.

Sorry, BeGreen, didn't see your basement question. No, first floor install, just under 500 sq ft per floor and want to get heat up to as many of the three floors as possible, but I'd be happy to get the 1st and 2nd floors toasty.

I am burning a Englander 30-NC into a 21' external masonry chimney with uninsulated 5.5" flex liner and the thing drafts like a Hoover.

BrotherBart, your words fill me with joy!

Any thought on smooth wall vs corrugated?

The first liner I put in was smooth wall. So many of the laminations separated when it was uncoiled and during installation that I pulled it out after one season and replaced it with single wall liner. Somebody may make one that doesn't do that but the one I had worried me. Besides being a royal pain to stuff in a chimney.

And no, I don't remember which brand it was.

Thank you, BB, your words continue to provoke deep sighs of relief.

I ran my Englander 13 on a 5.5 inch liner for 3 years. no problems to report.

Not really grim news, it sounds like you'll be fine. If the chimney is without a tile liner or if the tiles are not in top shape, then I would go with 5" insulated if possible. Premium insulated liner would be Duraliner from Simpson. But there are other products. Be sure the flue is completely clean before going ahead with the liner.

Is the hearth up to snuff for the stove? The 13NC is a nice stove, but it has fairly stiff insulation requirements.

BeGreen, Chimney is a tangle of 6 flues...110+ year old house. Flue(s) are not tile lined, just mortar parged, or so it seems. Plan is to do pour-in insulation after a cleaning. The hearth is a whole other project that I'll tackle in summer. First, though, all I want to see is that liner is in the chimney to know that I can proceed with everything else that needs to happen. Unfortunately, going up through three floors with an indoor stove pipe will be too enormous to tackle, so it's 5" liner or nuthin. If the 5" works, next is getting and stacking wood and then getting to the hearth.

delp said:
BeGreen, Chimney is a tangle of 6 flues...110+ year old house. Flue(s) are not tile lined, just mortar parged, or so it seems. Plan is to do pour-in insulation after a cleaning. The hearth is a whole other project that I'll tackle in summer. First, though, all I want to see is that liner is in the chimney to know that I can proceed with everything else that needs to happen. Unfortunately, going up through three floors with an indoor stove pipe will be too enormous to tackle, so it's 5" liner or nuthin. If the 5" works, next is getting and stacking wood and then getting to the hearth.

I think 5" insulated will work. That's a long straw there. I prefer an insulated liner to backfilling with insulation. Otherwise you need to use spacers to be sure that the raw liner is not touching the raw brick at any point in that 30+ ft run. If he can drop a 5" rigid or flex coupled liner, this is what I would consider using:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/multiple_items.asp?cc=5LDuraLiner

Status
Not open for further replies.