Englander 13nci

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
So my friend is about to make the leap from a Fisher to a EPA approved stove and I was thinking og pointing him in the direction of the Englander 13nci.....I really haven't heard much about the Englander inserts and wanted to get some opinions from members here that have the insert. Also can anyone supply the zip code of the Home Depot offering free shipping if they are still offering that deal? Thanks

certified106 said:
So my friend is about to make the leap from a Fisher to a EPA approved stove and I was thinking og pointing him in the direction of the Englander 13nci.....I really haven't heard much about the Englander inserts and wanted to get some opinions from members here that have the insert. Also can anyone supply the zip code of the Home Depot offering free shipping if they are still offering that deal? Thanks

PMed you the info. But I do not see the insert on the Home Depot website right now.

Which fisher was this? The 13 insert has a firebox below 2 cu ft. I know some fishers were huge. The heat output might be really different

Thanks for the info, his house is about 1,000 sq feet so I figured he would be pretty good with that size.
What kind of burn times are people getting out of the 13?

certified106 said:
Thanks for the info, his house is about 1,000 sq feet so I figured he would be pretty good with that size.

The free standing I think was giving about 5 hours.

It has a 1.8 cu ft firebox. Not sure how much of that is useable. One of the 13 owners should post here at some point (I'm looking at you Kathleen! :lol: )

BrowningBAR said:
certified106 said:

The free standing I think was giving about 5 hours.

It has a 1.8 cu ft firebox. Not sure how much of that is useable. One of the 13 owners should post here at some point (I'm looking at you Kathleen! :lol: )

Kat's busy...hope I will do..... :)
Average burn time in the 13 for me was 6 to 7 hours...using very good dry wood. I think I remember other 13 owners saying about 6 hours average

I have this insert...which is what I think you are talking about...

http://www.englanderstoves.com/50-snc13i.html

I don't think they carry this model at Home Depot, they didn't a few years ago when I was trying to buy one. I ended up getting it at Lowe's. Though they don't stock it, if you ask they can special order anything from England Stove Works. That's how I got mine. I think it was $1249 at the time and then you don't have to pay for shipping...it comes to the store. Of course you have to get it home. They threw it on the back of my truck, then me and dad lifted it off after taking out the firebricks and door. Handtrucked it into the house.

As others have said, a 6 to 7 hour useful burn is standard. Sometimes a little more or less depending on wood quality and weather conditions. It throws off a decent amount of heat but you need to keep the blower going which is on the loud side. It will keep the whole house (about 1200sqft) warm enough with a few small fans for circulation. I do wish it was a little bit bigger and burned a little longer. Another thing to be aware of which is hard to tell until you get it in place...the flue opening is right in the middle of the unit, not located more rearward or angled toward the back like I've since seen on some other brands. Since the insert is rather narrow depth-wise, it posed a challenge getting the liner connected because my lintel is about 6 inches wide and they want the unit to sit partly out of the fireplace to attach the surround. There was no way to make this happen in my set up and I imagine this is/will be an issue for others as well. I guess the only way to make it work the way they want it positioned with my fireplace would be to use some sort of offset box but I didn't feel like messing around with all that so we just pushed the insert back far enough into the fireplace until the liner would connect properly. Of course I couldn't use the surround anymore which was somewhat disappointing but in the end it has worked out ok. Otherwise, it is pretty simple to operate and does what it says it will do. The only thing that really annoys me about it is the way the glass is installed in the front leaves a sort of lip that lets ash build up on it so when you open for a reload it falls out on the front of the unit/hearth if you are not careful. Even if you are, it still needs to be sweeped or cleaned off the door. They should tweak this design a little.

Thanks again for all the info everyone has been providing. I will take a look at his fireplace and make sure it would work with the flue exhaust in that area. I printed out this thread and gave it to him to read and showed him hearth.com. He really liked the price on the Englander but I am going with him to look at a few other inserts also.

slayer7 said:
As others have said, a 6 to 7 hour useful burn is standard. Sometimes a little more or less depending on wood quality and weather conditions. It throws off a decent amount of heat but you need to keep the blower going which is on the loud side. It will keep the whole house (about 1200sqft) warm enough with a few small fans for circulation. I do wish it was a little bit bigger and burned a little longer. Another thing to be aware of which is hard to tell until you get it in place...the flue opening is right in the middle of the unit, not located more rearward or angled toward the back like I've since seen on some other brands. Since the insert is rather narrow depth-wise, it posed a challenge getting the liner connected because my lintel is about 6 inches wide and they want the unit to sit partly out of the fireplace to attach the surround. There was no way to make this happen in my set up and I imagine this is/will be an issue for others as well. I guess the only way to make it work the way they want it positioned with my fireplace would be to use some sort of offset box but I didn't feel like messing around with all that so we just pushed the insert back far enough into the fireplace until the liner would connect properly. Of course I couldn't use the surround anymore which was somewhat disappointing but in the end it has worked out ok. Otherwise, it is pretty simple to operate and does what it says it will do. The only thing that really annoys me about it is the way the glass is installed in the front leaves a sort of lip that lets ash build up on it so when you open for a reload it falls out on the front of the unit/hearth if you are not careful. Even if you are, it still needs to be sweeped or cleaned off the door. They should tweak this design a little.
x2 on all the above.
I heat about 1100 sq ft with mine. Mine sat too far back to put the surround on so, I left it off. Which after research, I had thought about doing that anyway. I did do a well insulated block off plate that I think has helped keep heat down and in the living room. In hindsight I probably would have gone with a stove in more of a hearth stove manner.
6-7 is about right for me when using going hardwood. I have been burning a lot of seasoned pine and I usually get about 3 hours.

I have a freestanding 13 hearth mounted at my house heating 1400. This is another possibility. Cheaper to I think? I agree with the 6-7 burn times. Love the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.