Englander 17-VL top temperature??? Or something similar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottK

Oct 5, 2012
HI Begreen. And hi to all. Total newbie here, but with luck, some of you might offer to take the time to answer this question for me..

I have found the Englander 17-VL. It looks like the perfect stove for our needs (which is primarily as an emergency grid-down heat source). It is small with close clearances. Perfect. Except for one thing: Due to the top plate construction, I'm guessing I can't cook on it.

If anyone knows otherwise, or knows how hot it DOES get on top, please let me know.

Alternatively, if anybody knows another stove of similar dimensions and similar clearances but that CAN be cooked on, please, please let me know. The Jotul 602 comes to mind but it's clearances to combustibles are a fair bit higher.

Many thank, in advance for your help.

Scott

Just to be clear, our home is small so I need this to take up as little space possible. I don't mind spending the extra for double-wall pipe, but looking to avoid having to create the metal spacers around the wall (partly due to a window in the way). The stove will go in a corner of the living room, with 3/4" thick wood paneling.

Don't need to pick a name, Scott, just need to be a bit patient. We've had troubles in the past with advertisers, trolls, whatever...so the Webmaster put in place some restrictions on new members' first few posts...they need to be reviewed and cleared by a staff member prior to being posted on the boards. I hope you understand and that you don't find it too "unfriendly" (it's certainly nothing personal). It won't last long. Meanwhile, welcome to the forums! Rick

Thanks, RIck. No, not unfriendly at all. I'm just working out how to post (started off creating a private conversation with Begreen by accident).

That's a great question. The convection top will keep cooler than direct contact with the firebox top metal. That will reduce stove top temps by half at least. But if the stove top temp is 250F you can still do nice slow cooking on it.

You might find this thread helpful for info about the 17-VL: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/report-on-my-new-50-tvl17-stove-lots-of-pictures.57350/

For more info about alternatives, tell us more about the space where the stove is to be installed and nearby clearance restrictions.

...(started off creating a private conversation with Begreen by accident).

Accidental private conversations are begreen's absolute favorites. ;lol

So I'm not the first, that's good!

Hi again, Begreen. I saw 48Rob's post already. Very useful, especially all the photos. And I love that I can get it within 6" at the corners if I used double-walled pipe. I assume I read that right - just need to double check the minimum clearance of double-wall pipe to a combustible wall.

Mostly though, I'm worried about the slow simmer limitation.

Any other stoves that might fit my need? (Just to be clear: it will be placed in a corner with 3/4" wood paneling on both walls and windows nearby.)

There are several close clearance stoves. How large an area will the stove be heating? Is and overnight burn a requirement?

The Quadrafire 2100, Napoleon 1400, PE Vista, Osburn 1100, are worth looking at.

Thanks for the tips. I'll start looking into those now. I assume immediately that they are both a lot more expensive than the 17-VL, and better quality. Is that a fair guess?

This is a bit off topic.

I suggest you get ahead on your wood supply. EPA stoves need seasoned wood to operate correctly.

Welcome to Hearth.com

Ha. Thanks. I'm already looking into it.

Are you the designer of the 17-VL? (I know it is someone named Corey). Do YOU know what the top plate temperature would get to during a normal burn? Begreen's answer of 250' sounds reasonable, but if someone knows more specifically, all the better.

You aren't going to find an exact temp figure scott since it will vary with how hard you run the stove.

Have you thought about cooking inside the stove once the fire has burned down to coals? Using a cast iron skillet / dutch oven, or even some aluminum foil can yield some great food from inside the unit.

For my stove without an air gap at the top, I have to use a trivet under a dutch oven to get slowcooking type action (pot roasts, pulled pork, etc)

pen

Have you thought about cooking inside the stove once the fire has burned down to coals? Using a cast iron skillet / dutch oven, or even some aluminum foil can yield some great food from inside the unit.

For my stove without an air gap at the top of the unit, I have to use a trivet under a dutch oven to get slowcooking type action (pot roasts, pulled pork, etc)

pen
my brother does that alot with his old "earth stove" ....he cooks both inside and outside. has gotten quite good at it really. especially when it comes to soups, chillies and home made sauces. not to bad at doing up a back strap either. :)

cass

Reactions: pen

Are you the designer of the 17-VL? (I know it is someone named Corey). Do YOU know what the top plate temperature would get to during a normal burn? Begreen's answer of 250' sounds reasonable, but if someone knows more specifically, all the better.

The designer's name is Corey, but he hangs around here sometimes under the handle SmokingAndPoking.

Cooking on a woodstove top is not the same as on a regular cooktop unless it's a cookstove. You can't turn the temp up or down instantly. Another stove you might want to look at is the Napoleon 1150, which is designed for cooking or the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4 with movable trivets for a wide range of cooking temps. Or move on up to the Baker's Oven.

http://napoleonfireplaces.com/products/1150-wood-gourmet-stove/
http://www.pacificenergy.net/alderlea/t4.php
http://woodstoves.net/cookstoves/bakersoven2.htm

hahahahaha I missed that.

No not that i know of.

Edit. Sorry bout that. i not a stove designer.

Thanks for all your great ideas. I'm really impressed with how generous everyone has been with their advice.

As for cooking inside the stove, sounds great, but for the very small firebox of the vl17 (only 1.1 sf).

Now I'm considering instead the jotul f100 or lopi 1250 because I want some real heat for cooking. I like the pacific energy vista Begreen suggested (the smallest of the ones he mentioned), but the price plus shipping to east coast is prohibitive.

Any comments?

I LOVE the look of the Alderlea t4 but it is well out of my budget. I'll look into the Napolean 1150. Thanks.

The Jotul F100 is not larger. What is the priority here, cooking or heating?

If heating, can you provide info about the size of the area to be heated? In economy stoves you could look at the Lopi 1250, and the True North TN19, Englander 13NC, or an appropriately sized Timberwolf, Drolet or Century stove. If cooking is the first priority, a 2 burner Coleman stove is going to be way cheaper.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear. The stove will be used primarily to provide heat and cooking during power outages. Maybe a little for atmosphere now and then, but for regular use we have a very efficient heating system already. Total house area about 900 sf.

You're totally right that it would be cheaper to cook on our gas BBQ and/or a portable camp,stove, and to just stick with the vl-17. But if I can spend a few hundred more and get a small footprint stove that does both, all the better. S far though nothing beats the vl17 for tiniest footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.