englander 18 mh worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfrehner

Dec 13, 2008
Northern Missouri
Hi, I have the oppurtunity to buy an Englander 18 MH model for around $500. I was curious if anybody has any experience with this stove and if it is worth the money? It is in decent shape and needs a new paint job, but everything else looks good. The catalytic combustor even looks clean. I would be pleased to hear any of your opinions on this stove, thanks

Never herd of that model. I wonder if thats the non EPA job. If it is, I wouldnt mess with it, especialy if its used. Im sure somebody here will know exactly what it is and be able to advise you. I can say a new 13 is around $750, and a 30 is around $1100. Both are EPA and pretty good stoves for the $$$$

the 18-mh is a mobile home approved catalytic model stove , it is epa phase 2 compliant.

specs are 2.0GPH, 72% efficient 7800-28,600 BTU per tested rating stove was rated at up to 1000 sq ft heating capacity. the unit was produced from 1992 through 2003 (ref epa.gov listing of epa certified stoves)

it was actually a quite successful stove for us. the cost of the unit new was actually not too far from what the seller is asking so i would say the stove would need to be in "very near new" condition to beg that price second hand. if in that shape though its a solid heater and should do a fine job if heating a space in the range it is rated for. BTW we do still have complete support as far as parts go for that unit so any replacement part needed is still available and i expect that will be the case for a long time to come

thanks for your input. I think I will keep looking. I thought it would heat more than 1000 sq ft. I was planning on driving to look at it in person today and my car broke down and I never made it. Must be a sign eh? Thanks again everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.