Englander 24 jc issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wainwright63

Jul 19, 2015
Concord, NC
So i have the 24-jc burning. Got her going great with good secondaries. But when i shut the draft control down, eventually i loose flame and it smolders for a bit....then POOF! secondary ignition and a poof of smoke out of the draft control...wide open to 3/4 air flow and shes good...whats the deal? Never had this problem before.

Sounds like the fire needs a little more air. Cutting it down too much, too quickly can cause a puffback as the fire goes out, then relights, igniting the wood gases that build up. Try closing down the air just enough for the flames to get lazy, but not out.

Reactions: Wainwright63
Seems you are onto something. After my OP i opened the air all the way and started gradually reducing air flow. Apparently you cant go from wide open to 3/4 closed all at once. Chock that one up as a learning experience for a newb.

Good news. Takes a little practice but you will get better with every new fire.

Uh excuse me. Secondary ignition? The 24-JC is a cat stove. Get the cat hot and close it down slower as discussed above.

Uh excuse me. Secondary ignition? The 24-JC is a cat stove. Get the cat hot and close it down slower as discussed above.
Are you saying cat stoves cant have secondary combustion? I understand the concept of the cat and how it works. However when i get the stove going good and with the air flow wide open, i still get alot of secondarys. Once I get the air slowed down, The secondary flames go away. But at half throttle, i still have some small secondary flames.

Then you have a draft problem. Those gases should be being pulled through the cat. Not hanging around in the stove.

Then you have a draft problem. Those gases should be being pulled through the cat. Not hanging around in the stove.
I have noticed that the stove doesn't have the best draft at times. I plan on replacing the liner with a new insulated liner when i have the funds. Will operating the stove in this manner cause harm? I just moved into the house this fall. Ive spent a pretty penny on other upgrades and repairs already. I was hoping to get by with the current liner and cat for this winter and replace both in the spring.
I do not burn wood as my main heating source. But i do like to burn in the evenings and over night. During the day my wife stays too busy with my young boys to tend to the stove.

Nah. Just get together with the stove and how it wants to burn. Use some smaller loads and let the pipe get hotter before closing it down.

There is a learning curve with any stove.

Nah. Just get together with the stove and how it wants to burn. Use some smaller loads and let the pipe get hotter before closing it down.

There is a learning curve with any stove.
Ok good. I really enjoy burning the stove and have become obsessed with everything involved. Im still learning alot. Once i get her adjusted right at night i can get about 12 hrs of usable heat from an overnight burn right now. That's burning 6-7 splits of 2 yr oak. Thank you for your help.

One thing that has to be considered is the age and condition of the cat. If it is plugged or dead then you will never get the old girl to burn right.

One thing that has to be considered is the age and condition of the cat. If it is plugged or dead then you will never get the old girl to burn right.
I dropped the plate and cleaned the cat off last week. It looked good to me. No flaking and clear holes. But i am planning on replacing it next year bc i have no way of knowing how old it actually is.

It could be a relatively new cat. If so there could have a few years life left.

Give Englander tech support a call at (800) 245-6489. They don't care how old the stove is and they can talk you through how to make it walk and talk.

Reactions: Wainwright63
It could be a relatively new cat. If so there could have a few years life left.
I doubt it. The guy i bought the house from said he burnt about 2 fires in the 4 years he lived here. So while i dont think its been abused, im still not sure. The neighbor said the original owner of the home never burnt it much either. So im tempted to say its the original cat. Just no way of knowing. So ill replace it so at least i know where im starting from. Tje stove looked almost brand new inside when we moved in. Minus a half burnt log and a few dead lizards. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.