Englander 25-ep lazy flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genel36

Jan 9, 2015
new york
I have an evolution freestanding and it has a lazy flame and pellets build up in a day. It appears there is an inrush of air from the pellet chute. It causes the burn pot flames to actually part. Is there anything in the auger assembly that could cause a big leak? All gaskets good, cleaned completely direct vented. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have an evolution freestanding and it has a lazy flame and pellets build up in a day. It appears there is an inrush of air from the pellet chute. It causes the burn pot flames to actually part. Is there anything in the auger assembly that could cause a big leak? All gaskets good, cleaned completely direct vented. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not own that particular model but I no with my Englander 25-pah lazy flame can sometimes be heat exchange needs cleaned. I also believe your auger assembly is the same as mine one auger on like a 45 degree angle with a auger coupler, my first yr I had issues with coupler getting full with saw dust and slowing down auger.

I do not own that particular model but I no with my Englander 25-pah lazy flame can sometimes be heat exchange needs cleaned. I also believe your auger assembly is the same as mine one auger on like a 45 degree angle with a auger coupler, my first yr I had issues with coupler getting full with saw dust and slowing down auger.

Hopper lid is tight. Used an incense stick to check for pulling air around all seams and gaskets on door, ash tray and hopper door. I cleaned behind the plates several times with hardly anything there. I use a leaf blower to suck on the vent outside regularly and always blow out a cloud of ash. I am very concerned with the auger assembly because there is an obvious leak from the pellet chute just above the burn pot because of the way the fire in the burn pot is parted. Somehow there is a big leak coming down the pellet chute.

Did this just start happening all of a sudden?

How many ton have you put through this and when was the last time you pulled the combustion blower to clean?

With the hopper lid closed, place a sheet of paper, folded in half, between the lid and gasket and check all the way around and see if there is resistance.

Do you have an OAK hooked up? Have you checked the inlet on the outside of the house to make sure it isn't clogged?

What are your bottom 3 numbers?

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear

Did this just start happening all of a sudden?

How many ton have you put through this and when was the last time you pulled the combustion blower to clean?

With the hopper lid closed, place a sheet of paper, folded in half, between the lid and gasket and check all the way around and see if there is resistance.

Do you have an OAK hooked up? Have you checked the inlet on the outside of the house to make sure it isn't clogged?

What are your bottom 3 numbers?
How often has behind the plates been cleaned?
I cleaned behind they plates after every two tons or so. Hopper lid is sealing well. I have burned about 7 tons in the stove. I have not removed the exhaust blower recently but I do use my leaf blower to suck out the exhaust regularly.

I cleaned behind they plates after every two tons or so. Hopper lid is sealing well. I have burned about 7 tons in the stove. I have not removed the exhaust blower recently but I do use my leaf blower to suck out the exhaust regularly.
OAK is hooked up and clear. Bottom numbers right now are 181 just to try to get an active flame. Supposed to be 111. Using heatr pellets right now. I think it was burning better last year. I have a spare exhaust blower. Maybe I will try it tomorrow.

A couple of years ago I burned a ton of Fireside Ultras and would have the same problem. I could not go two days without the burn pot turning into one big brownie and pellets would start to burn back up the shoot. I had to bump my LFA up to 7 to burn those things. The exhaust blower will get covered in ash to the point that it can not move much air. I take mine out every spring ( after about 4 tons burned ) and mine is always very dirty.

OAK is hooked up and clear. Bottom numbers right now are 181 just to try to get an active flame. Supposed to be 111. Using heatr pellets right now. I think it was burning better last year. I have a spare exhaust blower. Maybe I will try it tomorrow.
Should be 1-4-1, not 1-1-1.

Anytime my pellets are not burning completely and I am getting some buildup in my burn pot I notice the divided flame. Not from an air leak but from how the pellets are organized in the pot with the buildup going on, usually has a hole in the middle and the divided flame. When I dump the brownie clump out of the pot and start it over it closes the flame back up to normal.

Anytime my pellets are not burning completely and I am getting some buildup in my burn pot I notice the divided flame. Not from an air leak but from how the pellets are organized in the pot with the buildup going on, usually has a hole in the middle and the divided flame. When I dump the brownie clump out of the pot and start it over it closes the flame back up to normal.
The divided fire in the burn pot happens immediately with a clean burn pot. It is not caused by pellets in the pot already. The fire is being blown to the sides of the pellet chute. There is never fire coming up in front of the chute hole.

Ya, ok that is certainly different than what I have observed on mine. It is amazing it could all the sudden find that much air to suck down the chute. Confusing but there must be a path that can be found.

Could it be that your chute is not compromised in it's sealing but your normal path of air flow feeding the combustion process is restricted and it is sucking on the chute area to try and satisfy the vacuum for air the exhaust fan is commanding. I am sure the hopper could breath the air described through the pellets and maybe around the lid if it is made like mine. I know my hopper is not completely sealed as there is a couple places like where the lid safety switch is that is wide open to atmosphere.

I'll be darned. Took a flashlight outside just now to look under the oak cover at the actual screen inlet. Clothes dryer lint. In the daytime in daylight, it looked clean. Used a butter knife to reach under there to scrape the lint off the screen. Came inside and beautiful flame again. And the fire is not parting anymore in front of the pellet chute. Put my control panel back to 141 and perfect flame. Can't believe I missed that. Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Wow, Great, glad to help... What is it they say... Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.