Englander 25 PAH help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slipjohn1

Nov 12, 2016
NH
Hi. I just bought an Englander 25 PAH from CL. It seems to work fine except the auger keeps getting jammed and dust is coming out. I cleaned it thoroughly and it ran for four days with no problem and now it's doing it again. I always vacuum the hopper so I know it's not that. It seems the auger is making the pellets into dust somehow. Also, the auger squeals a lot. It seems like it's scraping the inside of the tube. The auger has one set screw that allows it to pivot so maybe it's moving too much? Anyone else with this problem? Thanks for any help.

Rich

What type of pellets are you using?

Have you checked for burrs on the auger or rough seams in the tube? Removed carbon buildup? Note sure if timing sequence is noted in the manual but you could check that ... power level relates to how long the auger is on: example 1 sec on; 3 sec off
http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/manuals/3343/25-pah_merged.pdf

Auger detail is in the manual.

Did a real good cleaning of all internal exhaust pathways and blowers?

I did not check the auger tube, but the auger didn't appear to have burrs. As for the coupler, it's there and connected so I don't know what else I should look for. I don't know how much play the auger should have etc. There's no carbon and I cleaned the unit completely. I don't know what you mean about timing sequence. I don't see it mentioned in the manual. When the stove is running it works fine, but after a while it seems to collect a lot of sawdust. I reached up into the chute where the pellets come down into burn pot and cleared it out and the stove started. I just need to find out why it's doing it. The auger squeals when it turns, sometimes louder than other times. Because it's loose in it's fitting to the motor I guess it's going to squeal since it's allowed to just sit in the tube metal to metal. Probably no way around that. Pellets are called Green Supreme. Any recommendation on pellets?

I would suggest another brand of pellet as Green Supreme are not the best from what is commented on the board. Fines do collect in the bottom of the bags ... you could try screening the last portion of the bag to minimize fines in the hopper. Try a search on the board or check the pellet review section.

You might want to try using some Extreme Graphite spray on the auger and tube to reduce friction. Make sure you get the coupling too. Ensure that the two set screws are tight.

Thanks for the info. I don't see a pellet review section. Is it called that or am I doing a search because that just brings up other, older threads. Thanks again

https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/2016-17-pellet-fuel-reviews-opinions-questions.44/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/12-13-pellet-testing.108795/#post-1432239

The variety depends on your locale; higher prices often reflect farther travel distances like the LaCretes (Alberta, Canada). TSC and other chains may have decent pellets that have been packaged for them (UPC codes usually tell the tale ... ). Softwood pellets tend to produce more heat and lighter ash.

Find out what local suppliers have and try at least 2 bags to get a good idea of how they burn in your stove.

Timing on the auger determines the rate of feed and auger runs longer/more frequently with higher heat levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.