Englander 25-PDV burn pot ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kburns23

Aug 15, 2008
Central Maine
Hello all,

I have a question about ash build up in my new Englander 25-PDV. The manual says to remove ashes from the burnpot once a day but I feel I will have to do this more often. I burned at a setting of "4 - 6" for about 10 hours and the burnpot appears full. Is this normal? I'll probably have to give Englander a call but I'm always at work so I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• burnpot.jpg
    burnpot.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,415
You should call Englander but what are you burning for pellets, Premium hardwood or soft wood?

Next I don't think you are supposed to burn at a setting of “4 - 6” I think the if you should burn at 4 - 4 or 6 - 6 or 3 - 3 keep the readout even on the display.

You may be pumping to many pellets into the burn pot.

Read your instructions dude...

Reactions: JamesDaviesNY
Looks about normal to me. Your fan speed should always be equal to or greater than your feed rate. I know that you really should shut the stove off to clean the ash off the burn plate but I don't. If you are quick you can open the door, slowly, use a stove shovel or a metal spatula to scoop the ash off the plate and into one side, close the door slowly without cutting the stove off. It's a game with me to see if I can do this once or twice a day without setting off the smoke detector over the stove. The key is moving the door slowly. If you jerk it open or slam it shut the draft pulls smoke out of the stove and into the room. Slow is better. ;-)

I had a 25-pdvc and it looks like yours burned all right. You seem to have quite a bit of ash this is usually due to the pellets your are using. Dump out the tray and fire her up again. I usually burned my stove with the heat 2 lower than the fan. like 7-9 unless I had it on kill 9-9. All in all I believe things are fine .

Thank you all for the information, I'll not worry about it now.

I'm burning Ambiance premium hardwood pellets and from what I've read, they are not the greatest by any means. Unfortunately, I read this after I bought 5 tons :)

This forum is such a great resource, I hope to actually contribute after I become a pellet guru ;)

kburns23 said:
Hello all,

I have a question about ash build up in my new Englander 25-PDV. The manual says to remove ashes from the burnpot once a day but I feel I will have to do this more often. I burned at a setting of "4 - 6" for about 10 hours and the burnpot appears full. Is this normal? I'll probably have to give Englander a call but I'm always at work so I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks for any help!

Have Mike from Englander check out your burn pot. I'm not sure if the large holes on the sides (assuming there is one on each side since I can only see the one) above the wearplate is supposed to be in that spot. This was in another thread a while ago but don't remember the outcome.

Found it https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15827/

The Ambiance premium are hardwood and that is a good thing. Thanks for the info pegdot and blanc12 maybe I should read my manual better.

I do not have that big hole on the sides of my burn pot I have a diagnial set of small holes on each side?

I burned mine the other day and the ash was more gray and finer, kburns ash pic looks more gritty or course?

Watch out for that racing wagon of pegdots I suspect it has Nitrous or could be supercharged.

pelletizer said:
The Ambiance premium are hardwood and that is a good thing. Thanks for the info pegdot and blanc12 maybe I should read my manual better.

I do not have that big hole on the sides of my burn pot I have a diagnial set of small holes on each side?

I burned mine the other day and the ash was more gray and finer, kburns ash pic looks more gritty or course?

Watch out for that racing wagon of pegdots I suspect it has Nitrous or could be supercharged.

Your diagonal holes are fine. Your model is the pdvc while theirs is the pdv.

I would love to have raced Pegdots wagon back when I had toys. I think my 1970 RoadRunner would have been a good contest for it.

I dunno rap69ri I hear pegdots racing wagon is built to the hilt!
What is the difference between pdvc and pdv?
thx.

pelletizer said:
I dunno rap69ri I hear pegdots racing wagon is built to the hilt!
What is the difference between pdvc and pdv?
thx.

So was my toy, then I got married, had kids and all the toys went away...hopefully they return one day.

The pdvc is the 1500sq ft model and the pdv is the 2200 sq ft model. Their burnpots are not the same at all.

Got married Z28 gone, 1966 Micro bus gone too, "But I have a pellet stove (and a nice kid) and am on line with "pelletheads"

pelletizer said:
Got married Z28 gone, 1966 Micro bus gone too, "But I have a pellet stove (and a nice kid) and am on line with "pelletheads"

I guess it could be worse ;-)

The ash does look a little grainy but I suspect that's a result of the pellets rather than the stove. It's really amazing how differently one kind of pellet burns from the next.

Who me?!? I wouldn't sandbag on ya! LOL The trick is to not have kids. Then you can keep all the toys for yourself. ;-)

pegdot said:
Who me?!? I wouldn't sandbag on ya! LOL The trick is to not have kids. Then you can keep all the toys for yourself. ;-)

Now you tell me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.